Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a Panasonic TC-P50X1 that would keep clicking over and

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic TC-P50X1 that would keep clicking over and over again when you press the power button but it would never power on. I replaced the power supply board. Now when powered up it gives 3 quick clicks and the led blinks 10 times. I then replaced the mainboard (the one with all the inputs) with a known working part I got off of ebay. But the same 10 blink error code happens still. I was then curious what would happen if I put the old power supply back in. So I put it back and still the 10 blink error code. It wasn't doing the clicking over and over again like in the beginning. I am a technician and I am comfortable
with performing voltage tests and soldering. I have no idea what to try next. Help!
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. Now..find connector P6 and then pins 7, 8 and 9. Measure the voltage at each pin to ground before and at the moment you press the power button. Let me know what it is. Set your meter to DC volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, on connector P6. Pins 7, 8, and 9 measure .127vdc when plugged into wall power but not pressing the power button yet. When pressing the power button it quickly jumps to 15vdc but then drops out when the error code starts.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
This is odd since you have replaced the P and the A boards. The A board was definitely a good one??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The seller said that it was used and working he also had a 14 day guarantee if it didn't work. Of course I do not have any way to tell that it is actually good though.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like the A Board to me. I would see if you can return yours and get a new one. A 10 blink code on this chassis is pretty easy to diagnose. If you have the 15V, then the A board has to be faulty. Teh A board converts that 15V into 4 different voltages. If one is missing, high or low, you will get a 10 blink code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible that there is a revision number somewhere on the A-board that would make this board not work in this set?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Are the part numbers identical?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They both have part # ***** then a 2 circled then an A in a square.

The old A-board has MU9145AB2 stamped at the top and the New A-board has MU9226AB. I'm not sure if that means anything or not

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what that second number is, maybe a serial or batch number. The boards appear to be identical.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will try to get another board and see how that goes. I will let you know

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll be here. Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I called the seller to return the A-board. They were a repair shop in Texas and they told me that the A-board wasn't my problem and that it was the SC board. I questioned that because everything that I've looked up has pointed to the A-board but they seemed very confident that the SC board was the problem. Any thoughts on that?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Sc board would be a different error code, usually a 7. I don't often go by the manual but that tells you that a 10 blink is either the A or P boards. Let me grab a manual and I'll get right back with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I got a sc board from shop jimmy but still the same 10 blink code happens. If I unhook the power cable coming from the power supply to the ss board then the screen will actually light up for 1 second then goes to the 10 blink code. Any ideas?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Right. An SC board would not generally cause a 10 blinker.

I'm not being much help so I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other Panasonic experts to chime in.

Hold on.