Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am trying to connect an LG soundbar to my sharp a question

Customer Question

I am trying to connect an LG soundbar to my sharp a question lc37d43u tv. According to the sharp user manual I have to be to the menu and select digital set up then audio set up where I can choose between pcm or dolby sound. The menu does not have a digital set up sub menu and the audio does not give me an option between pcm or dolby. Is it possible for set up a lg sound bar for this tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. I need to gather some more information from you in order to help. I assume that you have the TV connected to the sound bar with an optical cable? Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct thru an optical cable
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and you have the sound bar set to the correct input?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
According to the lg manual I do
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's just rule that out. Cycle though all the inputs and see if you get sound on any of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get the Bluetooth working, good for listening to the music from my phone but not good for tv
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but I need you to cycle through the soundbar's inputs please. Using the sound bar remote. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried and no sound. Tried cycling thru from the bar itself as well
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me do a little research. I'll be right back. can you give me the model number of the LG sound bar please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lg soundbar. NB2540, 2.1 channel
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll look that up. In the meantime, you are saying that when y ou press MENU with the Sharp remote, you do not see an option for Digital Setup? What DO you see? What are the options?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just found the digital set up. Did what the TV manual said but still no sound thru the soundbar. I have DVD playing and the sound is only coming thru tv speakers. To get the menu option of digital setup I switched from TV instead of the hdmi input from the DVD player
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's stick to cable for now.
Pull up a TV show.
Set Digital Audio Setup to PCM.
With the LG sound bar remote, press Optical.
Anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing thru soundbar
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Volume on cable box, TV and Sound bar up? Check all three.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will probably blow my ear drums if I get volume thru the bar. Sound is fine thru everything
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
In the TV settings, go to Output Select and click on Fixed.
Any change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With fixed I can hear the sound but only thru tv speakers. With variable, I get no sound thru anything
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
And you definitely have an OPTICAL cable running from the back of the TV down to the Soundbar? A single optical cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a single optical cable. The thing I find interesting is the TV has the optical cable slot labeled as Digital Audio Out but the optical cable fits in it. I check my other TV which is newer, bought in 2011 and the same, the slot is labeled as digital audio. The DVD player for digital audio has a coaxial cable connection, the sound bar only has the optical. So maybe the TV's are not equipment for optical.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
The Digital Audio Out is an optical. If you have an optical cable running from the TV to the Soundbar, then it should work.
I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.
Hold on.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you with your TV question.
If you have the optical cable plugged into the TV and the end which plugs into the soundbar, try holding the sound bar end of the optical cable above a piece of white paper.
Do you see a red light being reflected off of the paper?
A rating is only needed when we are finished. Press "Reply to Expert" to continue with the troubleshooting. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found out that Sharp TVs do not allow for the audio to pass through from external devices to external speakers. The issue is with the TV, not how things are set up.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, consider an analog connections (depending on the verion features), i.e. from the TV's RCA jacks OUTPUT R-AUDIO-L to the soundbar's 3.5mm jack PORT. IN which would require a 3.5mm to RCA cable similar to the product shown at the link below.http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4806488&CatId=453