Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

My Philips 40" flat screen TV is malfunctioning. When the

Customer Question

my Philips 40" flat screen TV is malfunctioning. When the TV and cable box are turned
on, the picture comes on for few seconds and the screen goes black...the audio is on...you can hear the TV audio. I have shut down all components - TV and cable box - and the same thing happens...a few seconds of picture, then the screen goes black...audio is heard.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Can you see any visible light at all on the display please?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the only light is the TV's blue power light...the TV screen is completely black and the the cable box display is working normally
The backlight is out,the backlight illuminates the pixels, controlled by a couple of inverters its these boards that tend to be the problem however checks with a meter are needed to confirm that, if you think you can do the work yourself please let me know, small tools and a meter are needed ultimately it will lead to replacement probably of the inverters.
Let me know please
I am sorry its nothing easier let me know if you need more info
A positive rating is appreciated thank you
Regards
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can do the work...my husband can do it, but he is not here presently. He will return in a couple hours. What type of meter needed and what small tools needed? where can we get directions for doing the work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how difficult is the process?
The directions for the work come from me
Tools needed are screwdrivers maybe also a torx screwdriver for the back screws and a volt/ohms/amp meter
Checks are needed to verify problems I will provide direction
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long will you be available today and what will you charge?
The charge is the deposit you paid earlier
I will be here for at least 4 hours
Thank You
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we will contact you when husband returns...
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much will a meter cost and can we get one at harbor freight or lowes?
You will get one in radio shack for about $20
Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a couple of years ago an oblong spot appeared on the display and has never gone away. It's gotten a bit larger over time, but has remained a static size for the most part. Would this spot be related to the same problem?
No thats a bad LCD panel (screen)so you will need to consider that before spending money on boards to get this issue fixed......thanks for mentioning
Its not an option to replace the panel due to costs
Let me know if you need more info
A positive rating is appreciated their will be a rating bar of stars or smileys with this post thank you
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the spot is tolerable...not so much an issue...but would it be worth it to repair the other to avoid purchasing another TV for the next few months...? seems so to me...
To be honest and taking into account this extra information and for the age of the set i would say NO
The cost of replacement boards will be in the region of $200 now because you have the panel (screen) in a failing condition that does change things, I understand the clouding or spot may be tolerable but its really not worth pumping $200 into a set with a panel like that, it would be a much better option to put that potential money to a new set (technology has way moved on from your set).
Having said that if you still want to pursue repairs I will help its just that I have to tell you the way I see it
Let me know if you need more info
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anthony,When will you be available again to finish up the work on my TV? Please advise and we can schedule it in...? Thank you....
Just let me know your ready hopefully you have a meter?
Anthony