Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

TV doesent display entire picture. Picture is cut off on top

Customer Question

TV doesent display entire picture. Picture is cut off on top & bottom & sides
We notice this especially when watching golf. It cuts off the scores which are displayed on the right side of the screen. A
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is connected to satellite (Dish) receiver.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then try this ;
First press the "P.SIZE" button repeatedly on the tv`s remote and set your tv to SCREEN FIT
Then look on the satellite box remote for a button that may be called something like ; zoom, size, format, aspect , HDzoom etc. , often has a pound (#) symbol on it or a star and sits below the digits 7 or 9 , try to press that button repeatedly to toggle between the different aspect ratio`s.
Between the 2 remotes (tv and satellite box)you should be able to find the correct aspect ratio /format.
Note that on your model , while in "screen fit" , you can use the arrows to center the picture
Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the stars to rate) if that answers your question as it is the only way i get paid for helping you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried what you recommended. It did not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to move the picture when in screen fit. It shows arrows but using the arrows doesn't move the picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
The only way to adjust the screen aspect ratio correctly is with the PSIZE and that zoom or whatever the name is ***** ***** the satellite remote , I have never seen it not adjustable while using those 2 buttons .
You need to press ENTER to use the screen fit
In any case normally your screen should be set to 16:9 and then the satellite remote will do the rest .
Did you find that button on the satellite remote and if so , what does it do ?
What does the PSIZE button do when you press it repeatedly ?
If those buttons are active then I repeat , it is impossible that it does not do it unless your tv is defective , there are NO other adjustments that will take care of that .
Try it again please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned that on my model that while on screen fit you can center the picture using the arrows. I can't figure out how to center the picture. The arrows don't move the picture at all.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Click the link below;https://www.dropbox.com/s/017ei0lgk29edtz/2015-05-09_1825.png?dl=0That is from your manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture size button on the samsung remote and the remote for the satellite do adjust the picture size. However, none of the settings solve the problem with the picture being cut off.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You mean its oversized or shrunk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm guessing the picture is oversized because it cuts off the edges.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Is this a new problem or it was always like that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it has always been like that.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
How about if you play something else like a dvd for example ?Again , did you find that button on the satellite remote ?What is it called on yours ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a "star" * button. We only rarely use a dvd. The only time we really notice this problem is while watching sporting events. Especially golf, but sometimes on football also.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
OK then it would be called FORMAT ?What does it do when you press it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It changes from normal, zoom, stretch, etc.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
And you are saying that none of those , either tv or satellite brings the picture smaller ??How about if ou set the tv at 4:3 , you do get the pillar box yes ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I set the tv a 4:3 I get the black pillar boxes, but the portion of the picture I see remains the same.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Then the satellite box is the problem , try to pull out its power cord for a minute and in the mean time try to play a dvd for a test.Note that the sat. box will take some 5 minutes to reboot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your frustration that all of the above does not work. Because those are the kind of things I have previously done with NO success. I truly appreciate the time and effort you have put into trying to help me with this problem, but since the problem continues to NOT be solved, I cannot give you a rating. Unplugging the satellite box did not help.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
You did not say about the dvd but I can see what you mean .
Goodbye then