Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I cannot connect my tv to digital cable

Customer Question

i cannot connect my tv to digital cable
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter or directly to the cable from the wall outlet ,no box with its own remote ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
directly to cable
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then beside the fact that I would be surprised that there is any free digital channels available except often one channel showing the benefits of having a cable box , your tv would need to have a QAM capable tuner .
Right now it does have an ATSC for over the air signals but not the QAM which is the digital cable .
Other than dedicated cable systems , I do not know any cable company that do not encode their signals , unless yours is special
Who is your cable supplier ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
verizon
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
OK then they may still have some analog channels in the lower bands usually but not digital for free.
To receive those analog channels (if any) ,you will need to set your tv to CABLE (ntsc)when doing the channel search
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I get anything to ad and make it work
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes but that would be the cable companies equipment because even if you could connect an external QAM tuner for example , as I said , all the channels except perhaps one would be encoded and the one not encoded will be a cable company publicity channel so you would not be ahead .
Believe me they thought of everything and nothing is free there .
You need a cable box now to get something out of the cable system , cannot hack into it.
Wish I had an easy solution for you but as I said , they covered everything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.