Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My 82 in TV made a loud pop sound followed by no picture.....so I changed the bulb. Turned

Customer Question

My 82 in TV made a loud pop sound followed by no picture.....so I changed the bulb. Turned it on beautiful pic for about 5 min, then the TV flashed black and white then lost picture followed by humming sound??
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i must say that the symptoms you described point directly to a broken color wheel .

It comes as an ass`y and not the easiest to replace as you would also have to retime it in the service menu once replaced , not exactly what I would call a do it yourself job unless you are the proud owner of a repair shop

That color wheel part # ***** cost around $180 to buy and to have a shop replaced it at home could cost perhaps 350 to $400 .

Here is a link for the best price i could find for this wheel ;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mitsubishi-938P215010-TV-Color-Wheel-slls-/111566033279

You can find repair shops in your area at the links below , just enter your zip code

www.tvrepairpros.com
Or this one;
http://www.tvrepairman.com

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the stars to rate) if that answers your question as it is the only way i get paid for helping you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I turn the TV on the sound comes back. When I turn TV off it takes some time for the humming sound to go away.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Actually left you an answer above , we simply cross posted .

I knew from your description that you would reply that way and my answer above stands i`m afraid.