Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Panasonic 50" color monitor that has been working

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic 50" color monitor that has been working extremely well for many years. Yesterday, it would not turn on. I pushed the button at the lower right corner that starts it and got no picture or light indicating it was receiving power. Is it possible that a fuse or some other electrical component in the monitor has burned out? The power line feeding the monitor appears to be live.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) What is the model number off of the back of the set? 2) Are you saying there are currently no signs of life at all on the monitor (no click sound, no power light, etc.)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Not available at the moment.Will send to you by tomorrow.
2) Yes. No signs of life at all.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please postback with the model number when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see the number on the back because the monitor is mounted firmly to the wall. The monitor is one of the first large ones made by Panasonic. It is about 20 years old. Is there a reset button or a fuse in the set?I disconnected the power but that did not reset it. It is connected to a Verizon Fios receiver. Where does the power to the monitor come from? Is it a separate connection or is it through the Fios receiver?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Likely a fuse, no reset button. Hard to look up specifics on a model without a number. However the result is the same and the TV will need to be pulled from the wall if the reboot below does not work:
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the TV from power. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Plug the set back in and also check that the AC cord is connected firmly to the back of the set. Press power once. Check for ANY signs of life at all (power light, click, etc.).Let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to try the reboot? If so, and no results then at the very least one of he ceramic fuses has blown, and at worst- the power supply PCB inside the monitor has failed and would require service or replacement of the board. Power supply boards for Panasonics beyond 10 years of age are very hard to locate, and I would guess that the one for this monitor is no longer available. Repairs to the power board are generally in the $300 range at a shop, which doesn't seem unreasonable on a monitor that likely cost over $3000 when new, however prices on LCD/LED sets have come down substantially over the years, and a new TV of the same screen size would run you close to $700-$800.If you need further assistance let me know.Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go.