Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My insignia tv shows a faint blue screen and when i push on

Customer Question

my insignia tv shows a faint blue screen and when i push on the screen lightly it lights up. it powers on but doesnt seem to change when i switch the input. Any ideas what i can try to fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.Can you tell me the full model number of the tv please?Are you getting any normal tv audio?Can you see the insignia on screen setup menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, thanks Nathan. it is an insignia 32" LED-720p 60Hz HDTV model # *****
I am not getting any sound or picture. Just a lightly lit screen. When I touch the screen when its on it turns brighter, but the buttons besides the power button don't seem to be doing anything when I press them, but then again, Im not able to see the screen if they do work. Is there anything you can suggest that I try?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is there any color to the screen, or is it all white or black?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty much all black with a bluish undertone and a little faint light around the sides. ..minimal
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for the insignia brand which tends to be poorly made from the lowest quality components and have very short service lives. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). To give you an idea, a new main board, the most likely cause of this, is about a $90 part.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this brand/age/size/resolution though, I wouldn't consider any further investment in it, even to buy the part yourself, to be practical. You can get a brand new LED tv, from a more reputable brand, and with a fresh warranty, for about $200.Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan