Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My TH-42PWD6 isn't turning on anymore. Just starts green

Customer Question

Hi, My TH-42PWD6 isn't turning on anymore. Just starts green and goes right to red light.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, any blinking lights?Still, it would appear that the TH-42PWD6 is kicking in auto-protect mode. The described symptom then almost always point to an internal hardware issue.Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, you may need access to and familiarity with the use of a multimeter and even perhaps a soldering iron.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upon turn on it's solid green, then goes to blinking red. If I hit menu the menu comes up for a minute then goes away. I had a friend come fix it with just the buttons on the front when this happened once before. It should not need professional service.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Any pattern to the blinks of the red LED; something like 3 blinks, pause...3 blinks, pause...3 blinks, pause...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are 7 slow blinks then it rests on the 7th blink then starts again...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
This blink pattern is very significant as it points to the most likely cause of the auto-protect mode. Please click HERE.The above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to try EVERYTHING at my disposal before having to call in/pay for someone to help with this. No budget...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
I understand.Unplug the TV for an extended period of time. The idea is to dissipate whatever stored power it may have. Remove the back cover. Post back with a clear picture of the board layout. This would help me visualize what you are seeing.