Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

What is the roaring sound after turning on a model HLN5065

Customer Question

What is the roaring sound after turning on a model HLN5065WX/XAA?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. There's a couple possible causes of this problem, but I would need to ask for more info first. 1) Does the set still turn on normally even wit the roaring sound? 2) Does the color ever flicker? 3) What work has been done on the set and when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) No
2) Haven't got to color
3) Just replaced the lamp
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the set does not power up. Please let me know if the roaring sounds electrical or mechanical.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanical
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, sounds like a bad color wheel. The color wheel needs to ramp up to speed before the ballast will even light the lamp. There's three fans too- but they don't usually roar when they fail. Are you looking to replace the color wheel yourself? Or looking for a repair estimate and service locator?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The color wheel is at the link below for purchase from Samsung parts:http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BP96-00250A.aspx?model=HLN5065WX/XAA There's lots of youtube videos that show you how to disassemble the set to access it, and replace it as well. If you're not comfortable with this repair, it's going to be around $275 at a shop, which can be located using the following link: www.tvrepairpros.com If you need further assistance let me know and please don't forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the PHILIPS 100W BP96-00224C
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes that's the lamp. That isn't what's causing the problem right now. The color wheel is different. It involves COMPLETE disassembly of the TV- not a simple slide in affair like the lamp was.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?