Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I was looking at the printers installed on my business

Customer Question

Hi. I was looking at the printers installed on my business laptop, and I see there is a IR Receiver device. What does it do? I didnt install it myself and Im wondering how it could have gotten there
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the laptop. Additionally, what is its OS (Operating System)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is running "boot camp " So the OS has the look and feel of windows on a Mac. Control panel says windows 7 Professional.Where do I find the serial no?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The model number would be on a sticker normally at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac book pro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think big brother is watching me. Do you think this IR receiver is some type of spying or hacking device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is visible on my laptop. I don't see a USB port or anything..
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Doubtful. If it is an IR receiver, then it would imply that it is meant to receive incoming IR signals only. It can not transmit and therefore any information, files, video or audio from and by the Mac Book would not be sent out through this IR receiver.Based on the above, "...spying or hacking..." would not be possible or to be more specific, can not be completed since the Mac would not be able to send out by IR.Also IR communications has to be physically near each other; i.e. somebody sending IR signals to the laptop would have to be physically close. a few meters at most.And more importantly, an IR receiver is a hardware device. It has to be physically installed. Are there any bezel like covering on the screen edges, front, sides of the Mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say the "screen edges" do you mean the "monitor edges"?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Yes; the monitor edges particularly the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks factory standard
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The "...factory standard..." just rung a bell. It would appear that the IR receiver is a standard hardware for most Macs. It is therefore a built-in / standard device. Please click HERE.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Great! Glad that the above information may help serve your purpose.Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.