Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an issue with my vizio tv

Customer Question

I have an issue with my vizio tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info. 1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV? 2) How long have you owned it for? 3) What exactly is the issue you're having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Vizio and a few years. It keeps saying no signals and it no available channels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked up my cable today and everything is fine from that end but not the TV setting I believe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?????
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes, your reply came in 7 minutes later and I had stepped away. I am back now. Do you have the model number of the Vizio ( I realize it's a Vizio as posted in the question)?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Or, we can actually skip that part for now, as what I need to know to solve this is the following: 1) How do you receive cable broadcasts on the set- is it from a cable box or a coaxial cable directly from the wall?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would it be on the TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
On the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find it.
sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The version is TPV_2.45 does that help?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
On a sticker on the back of the TV. Anyhow, we need to know how the cable is connected to the TV- through a box or direct from the wall to the TV?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No that is the software, it doesn't help.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please reply back to the rest of the info requested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. It's a coax cable to a splitter and then comp color cable. Everything is set up on that end I believe it has something to do with the fact the TV can't find any channels.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
"comp color cable". If using component cables there is a cable box- there has to be. Please elaborate so we can sort this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry yes there is a cable box.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Now grab the Vizio remote (it has to be the Vizio remote- not the cable box remote) and find a button labeled INPUT. Press this button and select "COMP". Make sure your cable box is ON.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable box is on. I restarted it before I called you and I had it start looking for auto channel scan and it is finally doing that now. I have been trying to get it to do this all day. It is 22% complete so I wanted it to finish that first. I realize I only have a few minutes left with you but really think this is part of the issue. Can you wait?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No, the TV does not do a channel scan when using component cables.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You stated component- these are red,blue,green,red and white RCA cables- that is what you are using correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If so, then a channel scan on the TV is redundant. You simply need to grab the Vizio remo and press INPUT to select COMP. A channel scan is not going to do anything.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You need to set the TV to the Input that you are connected to. You are using "Component"- which bypasses the TV's tuner and uses the cable box as a tuner. You do not run a channel scan in this configuration- only when direct coaxial cable from wall to TV (no box).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I did that. By it says no signal
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Then you are not on the correct Input, or the cable are not plugged into the correct jacks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I have no model number so I can't tell you specifically what Input it would be called, but on Vizio sets it is typically "COMP" or "Component". Please ensure that you are in fact connected to the same colored jacks on the TV. Also please ensure that you are using Red,Blue,Green,Red and White.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have walked through the connections on the TV and everything is connected in on the outputs correctly. It has to do something with the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Yes the TV needs to be put on the correct INPUT.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Please press INPUT using the VIZIO remote and let me know what options you have on your screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
There should be a list of options. Perhaps yours has Component 1 and Component 2 choices? Again, hard to specify without the model number, but this is the protocol for Vizio sets.