Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Just recently bought a Samsung 40" Class 1080p LED Smart HDTV.

Customer Question

Just recently bought a Samsung 40" Class 1080p LED Smart HDTV. As we watch a program, there will be a few occurrences where the sound goes quiet ( though not completely mute) for just a couple of seconds (but long enough to miss dialogue) and then returns to the original volume setting. We don't touch the remote or anything...it just happens spontaneously, usually every time we are watching a program. Also, ever since the TV was brought home, there is one channel in particular that we can never get sound on, so cannot watch this channel. Any thoughts?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Sorry to hear you're having trouble.
What is the full model number of the tv?
Does this happen with all inputs/sources (cable/satellite, dvd, game, media/apps, etc)?
When the sound cuts out, is there any indication on screen that the volume changed (volume indicator bar displays up/down movement)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I don't have the exact model number with me. UN40H5500A is the closest thing to what I may have when I googled the set. I bought the display model, so don't even have an owner's manual. We have not changed any input sources, no cable or satellite, dvd, games, nothing. Just local TV for now. Have not noticed any indication on the screen when the sound disappears.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can you please test something else? That is really the only way we can isolate the problem, so that we can properly address it. If you have wifi, you can set up the "smart" functions and test something like netflix, youtube, etc. Getting the tv onto your wifi will be helpful as well, because as a next step you can then go into the setup menu (usually under HELP, advanced, or network) and run the Software Update function, which may resolve this if it is just a firmware glitch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, unable to do that. We have no internet service at the house, but are having it installed this spring. We are in an area without access to cable (without living on an iceberg :). I'm wondering if I should return it before 30 days is up, but we like the TV. And this model was no longer available in the store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With only a few local TV channels, you can see why giving up one more channel due to no sound is annoying.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can completely understand. If you can get me the full model number, I can guide you through doing a manual firmware update (download to computer, copy to usb stick, install to tv). That would be the only reasonable next step here. If the issue persists even after that, then your best recourse would be to return it to the store and get another model, as this would indicate an internal tuner/control board defect. For a floor model tv, you may have no warranty either, so you'd be better off with a new set in that case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Interesting. The clerk said it had a warranty, unless he was not fully informed. I'm starting to think I should return it, which will mean getting another model than what we have. I'm sure I would void any warranty by trying to do a self fix. Ideally, I would have you in my living room, and looking at the TV.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well it really depends where you're at and the store status. If they are an authorized retailer, it may have full warranty, but in many cases open box or display tvs do not, because they've been used up to the point you bought it. It typically would have no samsung factory warranty, but perhaps the store would honor a 1 year warranty period.
You won't void the warranty by doing a firmware update, as you aren't actually opening up the guts of the tv, just installing software. But, if that is beyond what you want to get into, and if you didn't save heaps by purchasing the display, you probably would be better off with a fresh, new model. Especially considering this will be in a remote area ultimately, the last thing you want is to have to replace if it dies in a few months. I would suggest you get a good quality surge protector for it too, including one that protects the coax line from the antenna. Being in a rural location you probably have "dirty" power to begin with and any large/outdoor antenna is always a lightening magnet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also concerned that I would get beyond the 30 day mark for returning it to the store if I start trying to troubleshoot. Since we have had these problems from the beginning, returning it might be the best idea. Thank you so much though. I'm sorry that I have to "shop" again, without having done a lot of homework. Do you consider Samsung a good model?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Given the choice, I prefer Panasonic first, followed by LG, then Samsung, but they are all pretty close. Samsung is the largest tv seller, by volume, in the country, so when you search online and hear about complaints, you always hear a lot of bad about them, just because they sell so many more than the others, so even with standard defect/failure rates, it seems like more than the others. All tvs these days will have a 1 year warranty, and on average will last 4-5 years.If you happen to be a costco or sams member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50-100 (depending on size) which is well worth it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually bought it at Sam's Club. I appreciate your advice. And thank you so much for your time.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Ah well in that case they may have an agreement to get you full warranty with samsung, but still it's easier to start with a good unit from the beginning, than chasing after warranty repairs later.If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan