Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I turn my Panasonic tv on and it lasts for about 30 seconds

I turn my Panasonic tv on and it lasts for about 30 seconds 1/3 of the screen turns really dark grey, and the rest of the screen turns light grey over the top of the picture, then the tv turns itself off. the standby button flashes red. how do I fix this problem please?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It started about a week ago. There have been several storms since. I have had the TV for about 5-6 years approx. I am not sure about the blinking light I haven't really paid much attention to it but if anything, I would say it just keeps blinking no pauses that I have noticed.

Thank you for the reply.

I can tell you upfront, that the blinking light on a Panasonic set indicates a fault in the TV that will likely require service in most cases.

However, the blink codes Panasonic uses are specific, and each different code points to a specific problem. Are you able to plug the set in and power it up to see how many times the light blinks between pauses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks like 1 blink with 4-5 secs between each blink continuous

Thank you for the reply.

The 1 blink code- which is one blink, pause, 1 blink, pause- indefinitely, is a communication error between the Mainboard (A Board), and the Power Supply (P Board) in the set.

These boards work in tandem to allow the set to turn on, the Power Supply provides the voltages to various circuits in the TV, and the Mainboard contains much of the communication required for the Power Supply to turn on.

The power supply is the board that the AC cord connects to inside the TV. Often times, one or more capacitors on this board fail, and will give you these symptoms. The Mainboard is the board directly mounted to the rear panel of the set, that routes and processes all of the AV signals to the TV. This is a common mode of failure for these sets.

Average cost or this type of repair is around $250-$300 parts and labor. There is no reset or series of buttons you can press to fix this problem, and the set will require service.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).