Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My 50 inch plasma receives analog tv ok but has stopped receiving

My 50 inch plasma receives analog tv ok but has stopped receiving digital signals. HDMI components work. Have disconnected power and reconnected but no change. is there anything else I can do?
Thanks Ian
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi Ian, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

am I understanding you correctly that you still get analog, but not digital? I'd expect it to be the other way around.

Customer:

No I get analog fine no digital was

Customer:

No problems with digital since I bought the tv5 years ago then yesterday no digital tv DVD works

Nathan :

Thanks for the info,

Nathan :

any changes with the aerial location, wiring, etc?

Nathan :

The most likely issue here is that the digital tuner has failed

Customer:

No changes was working the night before the not the next day

Nathan :

For an older set like this, a spontaneous failure is fairly common, it can be just age related wear and tear, damage from overheating, damage from a power surge or even a lightening strike through the antenna

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds,
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Customer:

OK thanks will try that

Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure (meaning the tuner has failed0

Nathan :

Fixing it would require replacing the main board of the tv, and if you get to that point, it would almost be cheaper to buy a new tv.

Nathan :

As a workaround, you can hook up an external tuner (converter box) that would connect to the antenna, then relay the signal to the tv after tuning in the channels

Customer:

Tried that still the same no digital picture. Tried another TV and it works on the antenna system.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks Nathan I have installed a set top box digital tuner. Not as good as I did have so I'll try and source a new board for the tuner in the TV or just put up with the poorer quality reception. Ian

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome Ian. The tuner isn't a component you can replace individually, it is part of the main board, so that entire main board would have to be replaced. As the parts are scarce, and expensive, you'd probably be better off buying a new tv at that point.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes seem that way, I'll just keep looking. Thanks