Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

hello- I recently just purchased an lg smart tv. My security

hello- I recently just purchased an lg smart tv. My security system is networked running through my router. Is there any way possible to view my security system through the smart TV's in my house...
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

when you say security system, do you mean an alarm system, or do you mean a video surveillance system?

Nathan :

I'm assuming you are talking about a camera system, in which case the answer is "probably not", at least not simply.

Nathan :

The reason behind this is that these tvs are very limited in their functionality, they work with only a few specific "apps", which are regulated by LG, and they use a proprietary web browser that won't work with most plugins that would be required to view footage from a network dvr system

Customer:

Yes I have a 16 port camera system (h.264 dvr) is the name brand only running 8 cameras it is linked to my network router...since my tv is network ready I want to set it up to view my cameras on a tv channel

Nathan :

There are some workaround options though, but they'll involve external equipment.

Nathan :

You can't view it directly on the tv, using the "smart" functions of the tv. The tv's browser won't be compatible with the web server built into the dvr.

Customer:

you mean like active x

Nathan :

The tv's "smart" bits were really designed for just basic functionality, like viewing simple web pages and watching netflix or youtube

Nathan :

Yes, that is correct

Nathan :

most dvrs will have their own proprietary plug in, most are an activex signed format

Customer:

can I have it setup up where I can just go to the ip address of the dvr

Nathan :

You can try entering the IP address of the dvr into the tv's browser, but it will likely prompt you to install a plugin that won't be compatible with the tv's browswer

Nathan :

It won't hurt to try, but I wouldn't expect it to work.

Customer:

so how do like schools or hotels have it setup where you can go to like channel 4 and view your cameras

Nathan :

That is an entirely different process,

Nathan :

they have a camera/dvr system like yours,

Nathan :

and they take the analog video output of that dvr (which would normally feed directly into a monitor for live viewing) and then they run that into an RF modulator,

Nathan :

which basically creates a tv channel that all the tv's pick up in place of a regular tv channel.

Nathan :

If your dvr is near a tv, you can use the tv as a monitor directly,

Nathan :

but that will only work for the tv closest to it, and would require a wired connection from tv to dvr

Customer:

or maybe run a line and use a box and have it setup up like a dual monitor-would that work

Nathan :

You could also use an external device connected to each tv, like a chromecast, which you could use to stream the video stream from a computer, which would pick it up via the chrome browswer,

Nathan :

but you'd need a dedicated pc for that

Nathan :

Yes, that would work as well

Nathan :

the dvr box may have an hdmi output, but otherwise would usually have a composite video (yellow rca cord) , which would plug into an available a/v input on the tv

Nathan :

that is probably your easiest option, if the wiring is accessible.

Nathan :

If your house is already wired for basic cable, you could buy an rf modulator to connect to the dvr, then feed that signal out over the coax to the tvs

Customer:

Im thinking that I did run an extra CAT 5 wire up --is there anything possible I could use that for

Nathan :

Up where?

Nathan :

are you only needing to view the dvr on 1 tv? or on all of them?

Customer:

the tv is running coax for my cable connection now

Customer:

just 1 tv

Nathan :

Okay if you have a spare cat5 between the dvr and the tv, you may be able to use that.

Nathan :

It really depends on tv and dvr though.

Nathan :

Does the dvr have a hdmi output?

Nathan :

Does dvr have vga out AND does tv have vga in?

Customer:

monitor plugsinto the vga, no HDMi but it does have a S video and USB

Nathan :

So the dvr has vga, and svideo (and probably composite video - yellow rca port) outputs.

Nathan :

Does the tv have vga or svideo inputs?

Customer:

has VGA and 1 S video, A out and line in

Nathan :

You are talking about the dvr, correct? Do you have any corresponding ports (vga or svid) available on the tv?

Customer:

yes the DVR---I just ran coax to my tv for the cable and using wireless for the rest

Nathan :

What I'm asking is what inputs you have available on the tv.

Nathan :

If you have a spare cat5 line between the tv and the dvr, there are some adapter "baluns" that can be used to send vga, svid, or composite over that cat5 cable.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

there should be video and AV in and 3 HDMI's

Customer:

the tv is a LG 60PN5700 if that helps

Nathan :

Thanks

Nathan :

It looks like regular a/v input is the only thing that would work in your case.

Nathan :

If you had the ability to run a new coax (or an rca cable), that would be your best bet for signal integrity,

Customer:

so you are thinking to use the a/v input or you said that I may be able to use that Ethernet cable--how could I do that

Nathan :

Yes, to use the av input,

Nathan :

but you'll need some special adapters, known as a "balun" that will carry the signal between the 2, and adapt to the video connector on each end

Customer:

where could I purchase those..any ideas

Customer:

have you ever used monoprice

Nathan :

I'll send you a link

Nathan :

Yes, I have

Customer:

so I would use the Ethernet wire, use the adapter-plug into the a/v input on tv and plug into where on the DVR?

Nathan :

Use this (without the power connection

Nathan :

This would plug into the video out of the dvr, other end into the ethernet.

Nathan :

At the tv end plugs into ethernet, then you'll need to piece together an adapter or 2 to connect the bnc output of the adapter to a composite (rca) connection for the yellow a/v plug on the tv

Nathan :

you can get all of the components at monoprice as well

Customer:

when you say video out on dvr are you referring to the Svideo

Nathan :

No, you should have a bnc monitor out

Nathan :

that would connect to the adapter

Customer:

yes BNC tv out--correct

Nathan :

correct

Nathan :

via the ethernet baluns

Nathan :

then you'll need to adapt the bnc connection to the rca jack on the tv,

Nathan :

you probably got a few of those adapters with the dvr even,

Customer:

so when I purchase the baluns are there anything else that I will need

Nathan :

they usually include some to let you plug in non bnc camera connections

Customer:

sounds great--I really was hoping to go through the internet since the tv was internet ready but I think this is the next best option and I think this is going to be better than using the RF modulator or the box for the dual monitor---what do you think

Nathan :

I agree, as long as you have this cable in place already, there is no reason to try adapting it in any other way, it will just add cost and complexity.

Customer:

once I set it up using the balun how is it going to look or do I have to do anything to setup the tv

Nathan :

Unless this is a really long run and you get a poor picture or interference issues, this is the easiest route

Nathan :

You shouldn't have to do anything special,k

Nathan :

just connect everything then set the tv to the proper input (a/v or composite video mode)

Nathan :

and the picture should come up

Customer:

so just go through and go to that input and it will come up

Nathan :

Yes, exactly

Nathan :

On your set, the composite input is probaby shared with a component input, so use the port that is green if you don't see a yellow one.

Customer:

ohhh yeah one more thing and Ill let you go--when I ran the wiring to my building I did not mark a couple of wires-do you know of a good Ethernet toner that is farely inexpensive so that I could tone that cable out to figure out which one it is

Nathan :

Yep, you can get a decent tester pretty cheap at monoprice too

Nathan :

It's not a toner,

Nathan :

but just crip a connector on each end, plug the transmitter to one side,

Nathan :

then test all of them on the other end until you find the one that pairs up

Nathan :

these testers are good to help find out if you have a bad crip or a reversed wire somewhere too if you're having trouble with a line

Customer:

cool- and that does cat 5 as well

Nathan :

Yes, it will work with phone lines, cat5, cat6, etc

Nathan :

and by the way, I meant "crimp" earlier, keeps autocorrecting to crip.

Nathan :

You can get the ethernet rj45 connectors and a crimper from monoprice too, if you need them

Customer:

hey man I will get everything ordered--cant tell you how much of a BIG help you have been--once I have everything if I have any questions will I be able to reach you again

Nathan :

Yes you can. Just bookmark/favorite this page to get back in touch if you need to follow up with me at all.

Customer:

will it delete our conversation or is there any way to print out our conversation

Nathan :

No it will remain available.

Nathan :

After you rate me using the smiley faces below, or live chat converts to a standard web page, visible at http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/84edq-hello-recently-just-purchased-lg-smart-tv-security.html?src=dn

Nathan :

which you can save, print, etc

Customer:

cool- I give them my card at the beginning-how does that work now

Nathan :

You put down an initial deposit to post your question, and agreed to whatever the total charge would be (based on urgency and level of detail), upon rating me, you'd be charged the balance of the total.

Customer:

thanks again Nathan-I will be getting back to you

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.