Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

i have been getting a message to replace the bulb, which I

i have been getting a message to replace the bulb, which I have ignored, thinking I can do without a "light bulb" and I live alone. Today I heard a popping noise and some craclking and lost the picture but the TV green and red lights started blinking. According to the Guide, I may smply have to buy the bulb kit (I hope!). Can you help me if I have the kid #, etc.?
Hello and thank you for the question.

Roughly how long have you had the set for, and have you ever replaced the lamp in this set previously?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 8 yrs and have never replaced the bulb. The guide tells me I can order a kit. I thought I was talking to a JVC rep. Are you?

Thank you for the reply. We are not employed by JVC, but we are TV repair Techs that have years of experience repairing different brands, including JVC, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc.

The symptoms you have, and the fact that the Lamp has not been replaced in 8 years indicates that the Lamp does indeed need to be replaced. This is a consumable component and it is perfectly normal for it to fail. Average lifespan for the lamp is around 5 years, and you've well exceeded that. The lamp for your set can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/jvc-hd-61z585-100-watt-rptv-replacement-lamp-with-housing-with-free/238814739.html?listingId=236682313

Instructions for lamp replacement are in your Owner's manual which can also be downloaded at the link below on page 69:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/95/LCT1611-001C-A.pdf

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. Where do I do the rating. You've been a big help. Will I lose the page with the web site if I "reply to Expert"?

You're very welcome. There are little smiley faces near the bottom of my response that the site uses for their rating system. You will not lose this page if you rate. You can get back here anytime, by logging onto: XXXXX XXXXX clicking on "My Questions".