Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Sony projection tv. when tv is turned on the sound comes on

Sony projection tv. when tv is turned on the sound comes on for a second then no signal comes on the screen. I checked the cable box with another tv and functioned fine.
Thoughts?

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

When you say that you by-passed the cable box , do you mean that you took the cable from the wall outlet directly into the tv ?

Normally , is the cable box connected to the tv with a coaxial cable connected in the tv`s ant/cable terminal and the tv on channel 3 or 4 ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes connected straight to the wall, channel 3, KP-53HS30 manufactured in 2002

O.k and do you have other equipment like dvd,games etc. connected to this tv with color coded cables ?

If so , do they show the same problem ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just a wireless lan blue ray dvd player and that has be hooked up for months and is still working ok. mostly used for netflix. with no problems.

O.k and what kind of cables are you using for this blue ray .

Is it component color coded cables?

Does your cable box have audio/video outputs at the back and if so , could you try to hook it up to the tv that way to see if the problem persist ?

Right now what I`m thinking is that perhaps there is a problem with your TV's tuner and this test would confirm it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, and it did work

O.k then as I was saying, it looks like your TV's tuner system gave up the ghost so to speak.

Unfortunately on these TV's the components had to be replaced at board level and for a tv of this age could be quite difficult to find right now , namely the tuner module.

If you wish to have this repaired by a Sony ASC (athorized service center) then I could find one near you but I can tell you that this would not cost any less than around $250 to have this repaired at home.

On the other hand , if you can live without the TV's tuner then that would be fine and the problem will no go any further to the rest of the tv.

Beside , you will get a better picture with component cables.

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer if that does the trick for you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks Jack, time for a new set any way. They what 100 just to come to the house. Now, how do I get rid of this dinosaur ? cant make a planter out of it.

Actually I would`ve expected around $125 just to come around.

Now about getting rid of it , you could always use it as a target practice :)

But seriously , not sure how it works in your city but some will have a special collect where you give them a call and they will pick it up and almost all cities have a once or twice a year collect of large object.

Sledge hammer works well to reduce the size .

In any case , in the mean time it is still functional , just not the tuner system