Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a samsung model ln40a650a1fxza television. I just bought

I have a samsung model ln40a650a1fxza television. I just bought a Samsung BD-FM59 3D Blu Ray player. When I hook up the blu ray player to the TV, it just says "Searching for Signal". My PS3 and DirecTV satellite work fine. I had another JVC model Blu Ray player that I hooked up to the Samsung TV, and that didn't work either. It also said "Searching for Signal".

I plugged the blu ray player into a different samsung tv I have, and it worked fine. I also changed the settings on the blu ray player from 480 to 720 to 1080p, and it's still not working!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. What type of cable are you using the connect the players to the TV? Also what type of cable are you using to connect the Direct TV box to the TV? Do you have the original Samsung remote handy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I use HDMI cables for everything; the blu ray players, directv, and ps3.

Yes I have the Samsung remote.

I have also turned off Anynet.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

If you take one of the HDMI cables that connects another device that DOES work on the TV- say the Direct TV box for instance, and plug that into the Blu Ray player, will the Blu Ray then display on the Direct TV Input on the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

YES! That worked! However, now do I have to do that every time I want to watch? I don't want to have to unplug my satellite and plug in my blu ray every time.

I unplugged my DirectTV HDMI cable, while the satellite was on and being used, and plugged it into the blu ray player.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay this is good and it's telling us that the issue is with that other HDMI jack that you were trying to use before, and it likely indicates that particular jack is faulty, which is not an uncommon problem for one or more HDMI Inputs to fail. Just to test it, if you use that SAME cable that the Direct TV box was using, and then plug the Blu Ray player into the original Input you've tried, does it work, or does it not work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My TV has 4 HDMI inputs and all 4 work. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the tv and tried it in all 4 ports, and it worked on each one.

Now though, I took the other HDMI cable, and plugged my Directv box in, and now the directv box is not working. It says "Mode not Supported". It is broadcasting in 1080i. I didn't do anything to the directv box.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What "other" HDMI cable are you plugging the Direct TV box into the TV with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had two devices, each with their own HDMI cable. DirecTV and the Blu Ray player.

The DirecTV box was working fine, and the Blu Ray was not. While the DirecTV box was on, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of that box, and plugged it into the back of the Blu Ray player. The Blu Ray player started working.

I then took the other HDMI cable that had been originally in the back of the blu ray player, and plugged it into the back of the DirecTV box. The DirecTV box did not work.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
This tells me that that HDMI cable was the cause of the problem seeing as the Blu Ray player was not working when it was used with it either. HDMI cables can be of very differing quality, and I have seen a package of 4 brand new HDMI cables right out of the box where only 2 of them worked. The solutiuon is to swap out that HDMI cable with a new one as it does not work whether using the Direct TV box or the Blu Ray player.

If you need further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand what you're saying, but the HDMI cable does work. I know this for a fact, because I plugged it into a different TV, and a different Blu Ray player, and it is working fine!

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
But its not working on this TV, which we've verified. HDMI cables are finicky and there are no settings or adjustments on this TV that will make this cable work. I've been installing for many years and when this problem occurs, the protocol is to replace the cable.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company