Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My TV was working fine one moment, but then I turned it on

My TV was working fine one moment, but then I turned it on after being off for about 10 minutes and there was no picture, but sound. After trying to bunch of things no there is no picture and no sound
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV, does the MENU display on the screen?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Had the TV for a year and a half.

Problem happened 4 days ago

Just the cable box is connected

Nothing comes up when you press menu

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

So the screen remains black regardless of what you press on the set, correct? This can oftentimes be caused by a failure in the backlights in the LCD panel. To test this, can you shine a flashlight on the screen and look very closely, while pressing the MENU button, to see if there is a dimly lit, shadowy image of the MENU barely visible?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tried it, but nothing happened

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay Noel, This problem may end up being a fault within the TV- so I want to let you know that upfront. However, let's try a hard reset of the TV first and see if this helps with the issue you're having. please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

nothing. no sound, no picture

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately there is an internal fault.
I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can here.

One common cause of this is the power supply board. There are several capacitors that are prone to going out of spec, and can prevent the TV from producing sound and picture.

The other common issue is a faulty Mainboard. This board carries the communication to the power supply to allow the supply to deliver it's voltages to the various circuits in the TV.

Also, the backlight inverter boards which are responsible for lighting up the LCD display could be causing this problem. If one of the boards has a short, it can cause the power supply to shut down.
To determine which board in the TV is causing the failure, a Tech would need to measure the outputs of the power supply using a meter to see if any are shorted, or if another fault board is causing it to shut down.

The average cost for this type of repair is between $150-$250 parts and labor.

I know this is not good news, and I wish there was a quick fix for this problem for you.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.