Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I pushed something on my onkyo receiver and now I cant get

I pushed something on my onkyo receiver and now I cant get any sound
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the receiver for?

Also, do you have no sound regardless of which source you're selecting (FM, CD, DVD, Cable Box, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 6 years

yes I do not have sound at all. I had sound today. We had the DVD player on by mistake and didnt release it so we were changing the mode but then pressed way too many things:(

I did the factory reset but still no sound

Thank you for the reply.

Can you please tell me exactly what is connected to the Onkyo?

Also, what specifically shows on the display of the unit (please read off everything)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Tv, dvd player and cable box

The display says DVD mono HDMI and it has something in red above it. it looks like three red squares. We do have a picture on the tv

Thank you.

If you unplug the receiver, then plug it back in, and power it up, do you hear the first relay click followed by another click sound about 2 seconds later?

Additionally, if you raise the volume up loud on the FM setting, do you hear any static or buzz coming from the speakers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I do not hear anything with both of those.

Thank you. Are all devices connected to the Onkyo with HDMI cables? The reason I;m asking is that sometimes the HDMI processing for the sound fails on thee receivers. Do you have anything that is connected with basic red and white RCA cables that you can test to see if that produces sound?

If not, can you run a set of RCA cables from a CD/DVD player to the CD Inputs on the Onkyo, select the CD source and see if that has sound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are all connected with HDMI cables

You want me to connect the DVD play with RCA Cables? I see the audio out on the DVD player but there are a ton of spots on the Receiver, where do I connect them?

Yes, as a test, on the back of the receiver connect to the "CD Input" jacks which are red and white, and then select CD on the front panel of the Onkyo. If there is still no sound then try running through the different selections under "Listening Mode" and see if any of these produce sound from the receiver.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no still nothing

Thanks for the reply- and unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed via any settings or adjustments. This is a fault internally that will require service.

The most common causes are in the Output Transistors- which directly power the speakers, and unfortunately it is not a cheap repair. Anything in the power supply circuit is going to be a minimum of around $150 and up to repair (diagnosing and tracing voltages is time consuming, as is soldering on a PCB), and if the Output stage that drives the speakers is faulty, then you are looking at closer to $200 parts and labor. I would think long and hard before deciding to put the unit on a bench, as a tech will typically charge a labor minimum of around $50-$75 to diagnose, which is non-refundable if you choose to not have the repairs done. A used, or new unit with Warranty may be money better spent, but of course the choice is your call. If you'd like, you can use the site below to locate a Tech in your area:

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will take the receiver in tomorrow to have it looked at. I understand things break, but I had the sound on and was trying to switch the mode to TV and then the TV came on but we lost the sound. I pushed a bunch of setup buttons and think I must have changed the sound system as I was in the input setup. I want to have it checked out just to make sure it is broke before payment.

One last quick thing to check Michelle, is that the TAPE button on the remote is not pressed. This should have cleared when you reset the unit to defaults, but it is worth a check while we're here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no its not pressed.. Is there anyway to just turn off the audio so it comes out the tv without unplugging all of the cables?

I understand that the issue was caused after changing some settings, however when you reset the unit back to factory defaults, then we tried the most basic test by connecting a device simply to the CD Inputs, selecting that, and then raising volume- this basically ruled out any other settings, as the receiver will process the CD Input, even if the setup menu was changed. So, unfortunately, this isn't something that can be corrected via any other settings or adjustments.

Also, with all of the HDMI sources running through the receiver, there is no way to get the sound to come through the TV speakers. You would need to connect the HDMI devices, like your Cable Box, and DVD player, etc. directly to the TV in order to get the TV's speakers to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok Thank you