Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

ok I am having trouble unblocking my tv. it does say protected

ok I am having trouble unblocking my tv. it does say protected channel. I tried going into the v-chip and am unable to, I do not have the original remote.my grandson=16mon. old- hit something on the tv but I cannot find what he did
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
Hi and welcome,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is there at least 1 channel that does not display "PROTECTED PROGRAM by..."? And

have you tried using the front panel controls?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes. I am watching a channel that is fine. the front panel controls have a menu button that will not pull up the menu. I did try that since that is where my grandson was when this happened.

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
Susan the TV must be first set to a channel that does not display the "PROTECTED PROGRAM by..." when the front panel MENU button must be pressed. Have you tried this?

If it still does not work, does the remote have its own MENU button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, I just tried that. the menu comes up but when I scroll down to the v-chip selection, I am unable to select it. the remote I have is my Direct tv and it does have a menu button that reacts the same way the tv panel button does.

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
While in the MENU, have you tried:
  • • using the front panel CHANNEL UP/DOWN to point to V-CHIP SET UP;
  • • using the front panel VOLUME UP;
  • • using the front panel CHANNEL UP/DOWN to point to MPAA RATING;
  • • using the front panel VOLUME UP;
  • • using the front panel CHANNEL UP/DOWN to point to X;
  • • using the front panel VOLUME UP select VIEW;
  • • repeat to set TV RATING / TV-MA to VIEW.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Louie, I did that and am trying the other channels now.will confirm in a min.

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.
Looking forward to an update when able.

Cheers.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Louie! So far so good! Have a great day! Susan.

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Great Susan! Appreciate the post back that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

The front panel control buttons performs some of the desired functions as that of the original remote; enough to perform the basic programming / configurations.

Happy that the above information served your purpose and would appreciate a rating if so warranted. Otherwise, please post back should further assistance be needed or a new question for your other concerns.

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.