Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My television has no sound.

My television has no sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Also, what is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.), and do you get NO sound on the TV regardless of which Device you select?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The set is 3 years old.

Cable box and DVD player.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.

What I was asking was, have you tried the DVD player to see if it also has no sound?

This is important in trying to figure out how to fix the problem. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, DVD player has no sound either

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Are you certain? This would be very rare.

If the TV actually has no sound regardless of device (make sure you double check the DVD please), then please get me the model number off of the back of the TV.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

LC-42E50U

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay, let's try a couple of things here.

Shut the cable box and the TV off, then disconnect both from power.

Disconnect the HDMI cable between the Cable Box and the TV. Then on the TV itself (not the remote), press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the HDMI cable back in.

Plug the cable box and the TV back into power, and once the cable box is rebooted turn the TV on, and let me know if your sound is back.

If it's not, then simply reply back and we can continue and do NOT rate at that point.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Still no sound.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay, just to clarify a few things, as I have seen this problem commonly with Sharps before:

1) Is there any buzz or hum from the TV speakers when the volume is turned up all the way on the TV?

2) Is the DVD player just a regular DVD player, or an integrated surround/DVD combo?

3) How long have you owned the set for please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No buzz or hum

Regular DVD player

3 years old

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have good news, the problem you're having indicates that the audio IC that drives the internal speakers has failed. It is common in these sets as they use very low powered amplifier IC's that generally heat up and fail. The IC is located on the mainboard, and requires the board be replaced. This type of repair is typically around $275 to replace the Mainboard. I wish I had better news, but there are no resets or buttons you can press to fix this problem and the set will require service. If you'd like you can locate a tech at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you're looking to fix this yourself, the Mainboard is a fairly simple replacement and takes about 20 minutes with nothing more than a screwdriver. In this case, double check the model number and post back. I will try to locate you a link to where you can purchase the board.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.