Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

My 18 month old tv has been SHUTTING down while turned ON to

My 18 month old tv has been SHUTTING down while turned ON to a program. More frequently today. Last week called Cablevision 4 different times and spoke with 4 different reps (they are excellent and very patient). The digital box seems FINE.....the only way to restart the tv is to Manually push the power button the tv screen....and sometimes it takes more than one try.
What is going on.....HELP!

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

When it turns off ,although it may take a few tries, can you turn it back on right away or do you have to wait for a while ?

Any difficulties to turn it on when it has been off for an extended period of time like in the morning ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover or owner`s manual ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Takes several tries to manually turn on.
Difficulty seems to be ERRACTIC. Not consistent.

Model:LN32D403(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

O.k and is it acting up right now or is it turned on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right now it is working and the last hour had a problem 2 times.

O.k then although anything is possible , I would be surprised if this was caused by weak/bad capacitors that plagues modern TV's.

From your description about it being random and the info`s I have on this model , there is a very good chance that the main board is the culprit.

The main board on this model cost around $60 if you buy it yourself.

Which brings me to my next question;

Did you wish to look into repairing this yourself or just have an idea of what it would cost to have this repaired in a shop ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I hired a repairman to come to my apt to replace the "main board" and install....what does it usually cost?

Actually for a tv of this size , you would be much better off taking it to a repair shop yourself but if it is not convenient for you then I can tell you that a service call would be something like 100 to $125 over the cost of the main board .

That would give you a repair cost of approx. $200 done at home and approx. 125 to $150 done in the shop.

If you go for the repair shop option then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;

Or this one;

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today but i hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TV just closed down again.....oy! And I must watch "Homeland" at 9:00pm. lol

Thanks for your help....will shop around tomorrow.

No problem, much welcome and you can reach me here at any time after this chat is closed if you have questions
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer positively as it is the only way i get credited for my time helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jack!

Just wanted to let you know what happened after our conversation last week. I hired a tech to come to my apt.

After removing the back of the TV panel....he found the capacitors to be FINE.....and acknowledged it must be the Main Board which costs $285. Guess what....when he re-installed the main board tightly.....the TV is working perfectly!!!!

Great , glad to hear that , as I said above , I would have been surprised if this was caused by bad caps , the tv is too recent for that

Then it looks like although it was the main board acting up , it was caused by bad ground contacts on the TV's chassis.

Happy watching :)