Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Trying to turn off smart hub?

Trying to turn off smart hub?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First, a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to better meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

Nathan :

can you please give me the full model number of the samsung?

Nathan :

Can you also tell me what source/input you are on currently, and what you are trying to do with the PIP function?

Customer: Un55es800fxza
Customer: Un55es8000fxza input hdmi1 . I want to view two different tv shows with pip. It said online I needed to turn off smart hub
Nathan :

Okay, so hdmi 1 is presumably your cable/satellite box, correct? Are you wanting to watch a 2nd show off basic cable or antenna?

Customer: The input is our cable box...and I want to watch a second show from cable
Nathan :

Okay, so you have a second connection (basic cable) via coax into the tv then?

Customer: No, just the one connection for the cable box
Nathan :

Okay, that is part of the problem then.

Nathan :

Granted, you'd still need to turn off the smart hub function,

Nathan :

but you need to understand that the PIP function on the tv is very limited in what it can do,

Nathan :

it only works to allow you to watch 1 show from the tv's built in tuner (with basic cable or an antenna), and a 2nd input from another source (like your cable box)

Nathan :

HDMI can only carry 1 signal, you cannot use PIP (at least not built into the tv) with just 1 source

Nathan :

For what you are wanting to do, you'd be better off looking to see if there is a PIP function built into your cable box, instead of trying to use the samsung version.

Nathan :

Most cable/satellite boxes have some type of PIP functionality to let you view 2 shows side by side.

Nathan :

In that event, the smart hub functions on the tv don't matter at all, ignore it and just set your tv to hdmi1 (cable box mode) like you normally do, and enable PIP on the cable box directly (use the cable box remote or setup menu for this, the samsung remote won't work here)

Nathan :

Does that make sense?

Nathan :

I know the PIP function on the samsung can be confusing, most people don't understand its intent, and that it is only for use with the built in tuner, which isn't useful as very few people use the built in tuner at all.

Customer: It does. I will try that! Thank you
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.