Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

my toshiba plasma tv is flashing white can you tail me what

my toshiba plasma tv is flashing white can you tail me what can cause this ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the full screen?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

6 years
it started last night, white with shades of gray images in the background.

Cable box, dvd. TV is flashing white with gray images in the background.

Was unable to fix regardless of which button was pushed.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I'm not asking if you're able to fix it with the MENU, what I'm asking you is if the MENU also flashes along with the picture?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We were unable to see the menu.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply, and unfortunately this isn't something that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments.

This problem can happen due to several things, and to determine which, a Technician would need to first inspect the Power Supply Board for signs of faulty Capacitors, as well as measure the voltages coming from the Power Supply.

The Power Supply is one of the most common causes of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for producing the image on the Plasma display and are the HARDEST working boards in the set. They also incur the greatest amount of heat which can cause failures such as the one you are having. common failures for this type of TV. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

If these boards check good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.
If you'd like, you can locate a tech using the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.