Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

When I turned my tv on the screen was lit, but no picture.

When I turned my tv on the screen was lit, but no picture. I unplugged it and it became snowy. I have Direct TV which I called. He could not get it fix. He even tried to get an input with the old remote which didn't work. We even changed the batteries. He gave me a telephone number for RCA. I was given 2 other number because they said they didn't have that model number in their system. I could not get through with those numbers.
The model number on my TV is F 32665.i need to have an input. Thank you for any help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hello Arlene, my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Did you say that when you pulled out the cable that comes from the direct tv box , you got a snowy screen ?

If you put it back in , do you still get that blank screen or is it just snow now ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just the snow. It was the wall plug to the TV. I even tried the restart button on the side of the direct TV box

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then in any case right now it looks like your tv is connected to the box with a coaxial cable that goes in the TV's ant/cable terminal at the back.

Could you confirm that it is a single round cable that goes to the tv or is it color coded (red/white/yellow) plugs that connects the tv to the direct tv box ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Red, yellow & white plugs from the Direct TV box to the back of the TVTV

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then that would be correct about having to switch the tv to one of the external inputs.

Right now is the TV's original remote completely dead , I mean there are no functions whatsoever that work on it ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The org remote doesn't respond to the TV. I even changed the batteries.

i can change channels by using the buttons on the TV. Once in awhile a noticed comes up about needing to set up after a outage.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Yes that notice is there because you pulled out the power cord and to tell you frankly , I believe that the direct tv box was the original problem.

In any case right now you need to get back to the input where the direct tv box is connected.

On some of those older rca TV's , you could get to the inputs with the channel buttons directly on the tv .

Usually the video input was around channel 92 , try to press the channel down button below channel 2 to see if you can get there ?

Note that you may just get that blank screen again but that is another ball game if you will , then if you do, we will deal with the direct tv box.

In any case , getting that blank screen instead of snow would be a good start.

Give it a try with the channel down button and let me know how it goes.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There was an interruption because my credit card co stopped the transaction. I would like to continue.
I pressed the button on TV below channel 2 it comes up to 125 and then the next one is 52
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then perhaps this model does not have the input feature with the channel buttons , otherwise it would have switched to it.

Right now I`m still looking for the manual for this tv and just working from memory .

It has been a while since I worked on one of those .

There should be a MENU button at the front and once it is opened , you can use the channel and volume buttons to navigate through it .

Take a look to see if there is anything about INPUTS or VIDEO in the menu ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No input but it has a setup but I have no way to enter it.
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then it looks like we are at a point where a remote may be necessary.

I could find an original remote for you but I can also tell you that a RCA universal remote will work as well and usually they are already pre-programmed for RCA TV's .

Another option would be to call some repair shop in your area to see if they might have an RCA remote that was left behind and that they may sell you cheap like 5 or max $10.

I can tell you that all repair shops have boxes full of old remote and RCA was definitely a popular model .

Also the fact that it doesn`t have to be the exact remote , pretty all rca tv remote will operate any model of rca tv.

If you want to have a list of repair shop in your area , enter your zip code at the link below ;

www.tvrepairpros.com

They probably will ask you to bring in your old remote for comparison if they have some.

If you cannot find one that way then you still have the option of a universal remote , usually places like walmart or bestbuy will have RCA universal remotes or I could find the original for you.

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer if that does the trick , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions or still need help with your direct tv box.

By the way , not sure what the direct tv people had you try but I would unplug the box`s power cord for a couple of minutes to reboot it before or after you have the tv set to the correct input.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a universals remote. And they don't work either.
Do I still get charged? I hope I am not going to be charged per month.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Sorry but I`m not privy to the billing system , just the repairman here but you can get that info at the link below;

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or phone this # 1.888.862.9212

By the way , when you tried the TV's original remote , did you press the TV button at the top first ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I did. You have been very helpful but I still have the problem. I just don't know what to do. Thank for your help
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Actually right now I`m wondering if the remotes are perhaps working but the remote sensor on the tv itself may not be at fault.

Do you happen to have a cell phone camera,webcam or any camera that has a display or screen to test the remote ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't have a cell phone but will try and borrow one. Thanks again I know you tried your best
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

O.k then but you can also use any camera that has a display , even a still camera.

Here is how to test your remote;
Turn on the camera and point the front of the remote at the camera lens ,then while looking at the remote through the screen press buttons on the remote.
If the remote is working, you should see light coming out the front of it while looking at it through the camera screen.
If you see nothing coming out and are not sure if you did the test correctly then try it with a known working remote like the direct tv remote.

Another option if you cannot get hold of a camera would be to use the link I gave you above to find a repair shop and they would test it for you free of charge.

What I`m thinking is that if the remote proves to be defective , there is also the possibility that the universals you have simply cannot operate this tv .

It is possible that they would operate the new generation of rca TV's only.

The RCA name has been sold to the Chinese "oncorp" company some 2 years ago and the TV's are quite different , they have the RCA name only and that is why they could not find your model number in their database , they did not take over the service for the older models.

In any case try the suggestions I gave you above and let me know how it goes.

I`m here to help you with this and not giving up yet :)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to go to work now, but will try it tomorrow, I am off. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, this is the lady you were helping yesterday. I found a RCA remote that works. I get to a certain pt on resenting my TV and when it ask to chance my cable box to channel 2 there is no way to do this.
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hello again

Actually in your case you will not use any tv channels like 2 , 3 or 4 etc.

The cable box is connected to one of the audio/video input.

Make sure the cable box is turned on and look on the remote for a button called "input" and press it a few times to switch to the video inputs , one of them will be your cable box.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok when I press it a picture comes on but if I change the channel it is snowy
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
O.k then take it back to the picture with the input button and then change the channels with the direct tv remote .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't believe it it is working. I will keep my RCA remote and never get rid of it. I could kiss you, thanks so much
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.
Great , glad to hear that and happy tv :)
Jack, Technician