Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Sony 50" wall mount flat screen, no sound. I reset the sound

Sony 50" wall mount flat screen, no sound. I reset the sound menu as manual suggested and still no sound. Picture good.
Hi and welcome,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Sony.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not get an answer...you only repeated my comments and my question. I have no sound, is there a part or repair that can be done to fix the sound on my TV?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sony Bravia.. Mod:KDL-32M3000

Appreciate the additional information Cheryl.

And is Sony KDL-32M3000 directly connected to an antenna or cable feed? Or is there a cable box or satellite receiver used? Are there any other devices connected to the TV? And is the no sound issue common to any and all sources/mode?

Still, the only easy user doable attempts of a fix and test are:

• • check / replace the connecting cables;
  • • try with a headphone;
  • • verify that the Speaker is set to ON in the Sound menu.

If all external factors, settings and configurations have been checked and ruled out, then
the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue. After a review of the repair / Service Manual (MA1 Chassis), possible suspects are:

• cold solder / heat related fault(s) (least likely);
  • low or missing audio voltage / power supply issue (likely);
  • failed audio amplifier IC/module (most likely).

All of the above would require that the Sony be opened up for visual inspection, voltage checks, confirm faults and effect repairs. Replacement / refurbished / pullout boards may be viewed HERE.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no external cause possible for the "...
reset the sound...still no sound..."; sorry.

Options then are:

• • consider a very involving DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, electro-mechanical parts, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Sony Service Center or an independent repair shop / qualified professional;
  • • evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, age, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Louie I did try all of the above, thank you for your assistance. I found out later, that it was the UVerse box needed resetting, after moving the two TV's around in the house....go figure. At least I don't have to purchase a new TV. Again, thanks, and yes I did rate you.

Appreciate the post back and the earlier rating Cheryl.

And thank you for your kind understanding as it would seem that the systems is auto-generating a followup.

Good luck and great that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

This is not an Info Request.