Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I just turned on my Sanyo Vizon HDTV that is about 5 years

I just turned on my Sanyo Vizon HDTV that is about 5 years old and whammo! Black screen. No matter what channel. Turned on and off still no picture. I get a quick half screen dull white flash and then black screen again and again.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

What is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX 37647. Nothing connected but a cable cord and a old APEX DVD player. Cant tell if dvd is providing picture because I have no idea what channel im on.

Thank you.

So, you're not even able to change the INPUT, not just the channels. I assume the same is true if you try to bring up the MENU correct?

If so, then please try shining a flashlight directly against the screen at a 45 degree angle, and look closely can you see a dimly lit image of the program behind the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Correct no menu no input and yes I can see the dimly lit images with a flashlight.

The problem is that the backlight inverter boards (Slave and master), or the power supply output rail that feeds the inverters has failed.

These are responsible for lighting up the lamps built into the LCD panel.

The power supply output needs to be tested for voltages both under load and no load to determine which board has the fault.

Unfortunately there are no resets or buttons you can press to fix the problem and the set will require service. Average cost for this type of repair is around $200 parts and labor if the inverters are found faulty, or also $200 parts and labor if it's determined the power supply is the culprit. The problem is going to be either one or the other.

You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).