Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

I own Gwy 24" widescreen Monitor w soundbar for my Gateway

I own Gwy 24" widescreen Monitor w soundbar for my Gateway FX530XM purchased in Mar 2007 (cust ID 83099877). The monitor keeps going to black so I cannot see what I am doing on my system. After shutting it off and on sometimes it comes back on. Other times I reboot 2 or 3 times before it comes back on. Lately it is turning black on the left side and a translucent grey on the right but I cannot activate any thing with the mouse as it keeps beeping and flashing while there is a hissing like sound coming from the back. I am presuming that it is dying a slow death? any thought or insights? Thank You. stan Kask

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Did this problem start in the last few weeks/months and slowly got worse or just happened overnight ?

About the model number , could you please look it up again on the back cover ?

Fro a 24" model it may look something like FLH-2400

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem has been slowly accelerating over the last couple of weeks. at first it was just dropping off showing "No DVI connection". then more recently it went to black after several hours of idle time. Now Its basically inoperable.

Model LP 2407 on back of monitor, Product #FPD2485W

O.k then from your description, this is a typical power supply (internal) circuit problem , namely weak/vented capacitors on that board.

Can you give me a few minutes ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I was saying , this is caused by weak capacitors on the power board.

If you or a friend is handy with a solder iron then you can buy a capacitor kit for this model at the link below;

This kit comes with everything you need except the solder iron.

Also note that there are instructions and videos available on that page that shows you how its done.

If you are not into repairing this yourself then a tv repair shop could replace those capacitors for you for approx. $75 to $100

If you go for the repair shop option then click on the link below and enter your zip code ;

This will give you a list of repair shops in your area.
You could give a call to different shops in your area with the info you have now to get an idea of their rates , this is a bit like buying insurances , it pays to shop around.

By the way if you are to take it to a shop , you should still get the capacitors kit as I`m sure you would save money on the cost of the parts.

Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jack, just one more question - it almost seems for the money that I might be just as well served to get a new monitor? Thoughts.

Yes , you are correct about this ,

It would avoid the hassle and give you a brand new monitor for not much more money nowadays.

Just thought of giving you the repair option info`s but yes after 6 years it could be a good idea to move on with a new one.