Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

2003 Sony 50 inch model KF 50WE610 red and green horizontal

2003 Sony 50 inch model KF 50WE610

red and green horizontal lines on non HD channels and grey horizontal lines on HD?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

When did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hooked to comcast explorer 8300HDC. cable receiver. new upgrade.

It was also the same for about 6 months on older Comcast HD receiver.

Only hook up ever has been cable.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

What we need to do is rule out that the issue is being caused by external devices or cables.

Can you find the HOME/MENU button on the TV remote (not the Comcast remote), and bring up the TV's MENU?

I need to know if the TV's internal MENU appears OVER or behind those lines please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

lost track of old remote

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

How about if you press MENU on the front of the TV itself?

Sorry the controls are on the right side of the TV. If you press Input, are the lines covering the Input MENU?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No menu botton on tv.Comcast tech said box was in good order but might be the connection on set?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
On the right hand side of the TV, all the way at the bottom of the buttons, is the "TV/Video" button. Press this and let me know if changing the Input, also shows the lines.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The color lines do not show but you can see the white is irregular like steps where the colored lines would be

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Okay, the issue is definitely internal to the TV. Lets try a hard reset of the TV. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself ( not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Plug the set back in and turn it on. Let me know if the lines are still there please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hold button is where

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Not the Hold button, the Power Button on the upper right hand side of the TV.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, Yes, lines still thre red stripe then blue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have replaced the lamp on this twice when there was no pic at all

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this is a fault within the TV, and not something that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments.

The most probably causes are noise created by the power supply board in the set, or a fault in the Light Engine. Oftentimes one or more capacitors in the power supply go out of spec and can cause this type of video noise in the signal. The only way to determine which is to have the set serviced and checked, and to have the power supply voltages checked, and any faulty caps replaced. If the supply is good, then the light engine must be inspected. Average cost for this type of repair is going to be between $200-$700 parts and labor depending on which has the fault.

I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for, but unfortunately there is not a quick fix for this problem.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Aric... You have answered my concerns. I wanted to make sure there was not a simple plug in part that had failed.

Regards

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply, and the issue does go further than a plug in unfortunately. If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service.