Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

My 3-year old Vizio XVT553SV TV has developed rectangular regions

My 3-year old Vizio XVT553SV TV has developed rectangular regions (generally top right and bottom left) that are dimmer (about 50%) than the rest of the screen. The borders of the dim regions are not abrupt, but rather gradually transition between dim and bright. The regions occasionally flicker between dim and bright and sometimes change shape (but always rectangles)
Hello, sorry to hear you are having this problem.

I can assist you but unfortunately your Tv has an internal failure. There is no easy fix like pressing some buttons. The symptoms you are describing is indicative of failing LED backlighting inside the LCD Panel. Unfortunately it's not possible to open the LCD Panel and repair it, the entire screen would have to be replaced. The screen is VERY difficult to find and thus VERY expensive, almost as much as a new Tv so it would not be worth having the Tv fixed.

There is a very small chance that the symptom you are seeing might be caused by a failing circuit board. There is no way to know or test for that except to buy the boards and install them. Make sure you open the Tv and verify part numbers on your boards before buying, there are several versions. If not in stock search google with part numbers. Here are the possible boards-
Click here to buy power supply board
Click here to buy LED driver board
Click here to buy tcon board

I wish there was better news. Please understand that I am here to give you honest and complete information.

If you need more assistance then REPLY here otherwise please take a moment to leave a positive rating now. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Please remember I am here to provide you with excellent service so if you need more help then REPLY here.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm very comfortable mucking around inside he tv and have electronics experience so if there is any board debugging options I'd be open to them (although your "very small chance that it's a board issue" doesn't sound good).
Sorry but your symptoms sure sound like a bad panel. About the only diagnostic you can possibly do is to use a meter to test the voltages at the pins of all the connectors on the power supply board. The board should have proper voltages printed right on it near each connector. Aside from that, it's trial and error - buy each board and try them one at a time. If none of them fixes the symptom then it's the LCD Panel.

Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks. One more question. I understand the power supply and LED driver boards, but what is the tcon board do? Thanks, Bill.
Timing Control board. Gets the digital video signal from the Main board and sends it to each pixel in the panel, tells it what color, brightness, duration for every pixel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Update... I replaced the LED driver board and all is well! Yea! Only $50.
cool deal!