Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752
TV

I keep getting a "PROT!" display on my Samsung sound bar and

then it shuts off and... Show More
then it shuts off and then turns on and repeats the process.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you had the soundbar for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after the unit was turned up loudly, moved, or a storm, etc.?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I've had it for around a month now. It's only used for my computer so it could have happened anytime in the last week since I haven't been using it but there were high winds a couple of days ago that caused a brief power outage.

Thank you for the reply.

I want to be upfront here and let you know that the PROT! is an indicator of a hardware failure of the output transistors in these systems. More specifically it is stating that they are shorted.

However, the processor that generates this message can also be glitched, and we would need to first try a hard reset.

To do this, unplug the unit from power, then press and hold the power button on the soundbar itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the unit back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem, and if so, did you purchase this system brand new from an Authorized retailer?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I'm still having the same problem and it was purchased from Best Buy but it was an open box item.

Okay, I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the system does indeed have a hardware fault and would require service. The PROT indicator is there to diagnose a fault, and there are no resets or adjustments you can access that will fix the issue.

If you are within one month from the date of purchase, then you should be able to return the item to the store and exchange it for another.

I wish I had better news and hopefully, if they do not exchange it, they are honoring the one year manufacturer's warranty.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).