Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a hitcachi HD1080 tv plasma model # XXXXX serial number

I have a hitcachi HD1080 tv plasma model # XXXXX serial number 7C014578. the blue light comes on when I turn it on and it blinks 4 times.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm, surge or power outage?

Also, does the light blink 4 times, then go out?

Or is it 4 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, pause, etc.?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

set is 6 years old no problems ever

no power surge

4 blinks pause 4 blinks pause

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Has the set ever shut down on it's own previously, or taXXXXX XXXXXer to turn on?

Also, when you power the set on right now, does the screen attempt to light up even for a second?

Do you have a meter and the ability to measure live voltages?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the set has never taXXXXX XXXXXer to turn on and hasn't shut down on it's own.

It doesn't attempt to light up the screen at all.

I don't have a meter reader, but do know what one is and could get one.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.

It's up to you, what I need to know now is the following:

Do you have experience measuring live voltages and are you looking to repair this yourself?

Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

repair estimate and service locator. I do know a service location but it's

about 1 1/2 hours from my house--- big honking tv you know the drill.

I worked in a electronic store for 4 years, then sold passive electronics

commercially. That being said, it's been a while.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Well here's the thing, what we would need to do on a DIY level, is use a meter and test ALL of the voltages coming from the supply, to ensure Vs is around 175 volts DC, and that Va is around 70. Also, check all power supply board capacitors, to make sure that none are bulged or leaking.

A shop would typically charge between $200-$250 for that type of repair.

If the supply caps and voltages look good, then we'd need to check the Sustain board heat sinks, to make sure that ALL are warm, and none are screaming hot or ice cold. In the even that they are, then we'd replace both Sustain boards (there is one on each side of the Plasma panel).

Average cost for this repair is verging on $450 parts and labor.

If the Sustain boards are working, and the supply voltages are good, then we'd move to replacing all of the Scan and driver boards- cost here is $250 parts and labor.

The last possible culprit is a failing Plasma panel, and this is the only part of the TV that is non-repairable as the panel costs more than the TV itself.

Unfortunately there is not a one shot diagnosis for this problem, and either of the culprits mentioned above can cause the problems you're having.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric