Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Hi! I have a 60" Sony Flatscreen that is 7 years old. Just

Hi! I have a 60" Sony Flatscreen that is 7 years old. Just had to take in for repairs and Im being quoted $986 for repairs. Should I do it or just buck up and buy a new one since the TV is older?
Hello and thank you for the question.

Can you get me the model number off of the back of the set please?

Also, do you know what they are looking to repair on the set?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SONKDS60A2020. Is that what you are looking for? I am being told that the mother board needs to be replaced along with a number of other issues. Sorry that probably doesn't help much.

Thank you for the reply and that is the correct model.

This set is a DLP set, that is known for failures of the Light Engine, as well as the Ballast, and the lamp (which is a consumable component). In my opinion, given the history of this set and the fact that there was a class action lawsuit years back based on it's reliability (the suit has long since been closed so there is no recourse under it anymore unfortunately), I would put that same money into a new TV in a heartbeat in lieu of repairing this one.

The Sony, even once repaired still has a history of being prone to failures and it would likely cost you more money in the not too distant future.

Considering that you could purchase a 50" Toshiba or LG LCD TV for about the same price as repairing this one, it makes sense to replace in lieu of repairing.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).