Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Please, I have a SAMSUNG LCD DNLE SP61L2HXX/XSA which has areas

Please, I have a SAMSUNG LCD DNLE SP61L2HXX/XSA which has areas of blue dominating dark color tones when watching tv. Any ideas?
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game console, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Tim,

i don't know the age, maybe about 2004

i have this blue patches problem with all video except when picture is bright.

When using as pc monitor, a normally white page has a faint yellow smudging across the screen

OK yes this is quite common Derek, this is very bad new though.

What you have failing here is a bad LCD engine in the tv. This part has 3 LCD panels in it; a red, a blue and a green. What happens is one of these will start to fail and the picture will degrade. Most of the time this starts small and continues to grow and get worse and worse.

The problem is you would need a new engine to fix this, the main problem is that I cannot find one sold anywhere yet. However last time I priced one it was much more than the tv was worth repairing, the part alone was over $800 which you can almost get a new tv for that price these days.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!