Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a VIZIO E321VL that would not do anything. I replaced

I have a VIZIO E321VL that would not do anything. I replaced the Power supply board and now the VIZIO logo lights up amber and changes to white when power button is pushed. I got nothing else. I replaced the main board and still get no sound, no picture and no back light. Both boards were new from Shop Jimmy so I am confident the boards are not the problem. I now have $150 into this TV and it still does not work. BTW I do not have the remote for it. Any suggestions what to do next?
Hello and thanks for the question. If the backlights are not firing up, have you tried shining a flashlight against the panel, then pressing MENU to see if there is an oh so slight, shadowy image of the MENU behind the screen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just tried that and no the screen is black no menu image

Thank you. So, in a darkened room, you press power and you are 100% certain that the backlights are not lighting up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These symptoms would line up with the Inverters in the set not working properly, as the Power Supply and mainboard generate the voltages to the Inverter Board. So, you've had the same exact symptoms when you replaced both the supply, and the mainboard correct?

If so, and provided both boards you purchased are new, then you would need to purchase the inverter for your set, which is available at the link below:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok so is this the board at the top of the screen connected with a ribbon cable? It dpoes not loon like it is very easy to get to. How do you change it?

There's a T-Con at the top of the screen which connects with a ribbon cable, and then the inverter is the long board in the picture I posted. I do not have a picture of your TV in front of me, but I can tell you this: With ALL of these sets the way to access the boards is to remove the screws holding any covers, or shields from covering these boards, thus exposing them. Remove the back of the TV and anything you see held in place by screws basically until you can access the Inverter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just letting you know the inverter board you recommended does not fit my tv. Turns out the back light inverter is built into the power supply board. So that was a waste of $30.

Did you verify that your set had an Inverter in it before ordering? i would have thought you would have said something if you did not see the Inverter in your set. I only ask because you should always check first as manufacturers can go through several revisions even in the same model number. So you've replaced every single board in the TV, except the T-Con and the LCD panel- is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is correct

If you disconnect the T-Con board from the LVDS ribbon cable connecting it to the Mainboard with the set unplugged, then plug the set back in and press power, does the backlighting in the screen light up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No still the same. Vizro logo amber, turns white when power is applied but no back light.

If you've got a new power supply, new mainboard, and have disconnected the T-Con to remove it as a potential cause of a short, and your screen is STILL not backlighting, then I do not have good news. The only thing in your set that would cause this are the CFFL's in the panel itself. These are powered by the Inverters, and the turn on command is generated by the mainboard. The LCD panel would need to be replaced, and this would cost more than the set is worth to replace I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess I will try to sell the new boards I got and just scrap the rest. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news on this set.