Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have A Sanyo DP42840 3 yrs of age power just went off and

I have A Sanyo DP42840 3 yrs of age power just went off and will not turn back on
everything else plugged in to power strip is still working
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First, a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to better meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Sanyo,

Nathan :

this is a fairly common problem with this model.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

Nathan :

Do you get any signs of life from the set at all? Is the power light on or flashing, is the optical port on the back glowing red?

Customer:

no

Nathan :

Okay, if there are no signs of life at all (no lights, no clicks, etc) then the power supply is the most likely failure, with the most common failure point being bad capacitors.

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds, 4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

Nathan :

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Nathan :

If it comes to that, considering the age and size of the set, it usually makes more sense to buy a new tv, as you can do so for about the same cost as what you'd spend on repairs, and be updating to newer features and a fresh warranty in the process.

Nathan :

Assuming the reset doesn't help, depending how you'd like to proceed, I'd be happy to help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending a replacement set.

Customer:

ok I will unplug the set and try to reset the tv as you suggested

Nathan :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know how it works out, if you have a chance.

Nathan :

I'll be happy to advise further if needed after the reset attempt.

Customer:

how do I respond to you to keep you informed

Nathan :

You can bookmark/favorite this page to return to our chat, or you can return to justanswer.com and click on MyQuestions

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.