Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a pioneer elite plasma that is about 9 years old. Plasma

I have a pioneer elite plasma that is about 9 years old.
Plasma display pro 435pu.
This model does have the"brain" box.
The screen went black after it turned itself off yesterday.
The red "off" button is on on the tv.
When pressed, it turns of, with no green light turning on, as it usually does.
The red and green lights remain on, on the brain box, unless I disconnect the power source.
Rebooting does nothing.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

If you press the power button on the TV itself, without turning the Media receiver on, does the light on the PDP (panel) blink at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Blinking red light

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how many times the light blinks between pauses- as this is an error code used by Pioneer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No pause.

Blinks regularly and evenly without a pause

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.

Disconnect both the panel and the Media Receiver box from power. Disconnect the system cables from the back of the panel, then press and hold the power button on the Monitor itself for 10 seconds and release. Then press and hold the power button on the Media Receiver for 10 seconds and release. Then connect the system cables back to the monitor, plug the devices back into power and attempt to power them up.

Let me know what happens, and additionally if you still get any blinking lights from either device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exactly the same as before.

Nothing changed after doing what you suggested.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Red and green lights on the receiver, and blinking red on the panel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Regular blinking light on the panel

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What we would need to do on a DIY level (if you're looking to repair the set yourself), is use a meter and test ALL of the voltages coming from the supply, to ensure Vs is around 175 volts DC, and that Va is around 70. Also, check all power supply board capacitors, to make sure that none are bulged or leaking.

A shop would typically charge between $250-$350 for that type of repair.

If the supply caps and voltages look good, then we'd need to check the Sustain board heat sinks, to make sure that ALL are warm, and none are screaming hot or ice cold. In the even that they are, then we'd replace both Sustain boards (there is one on each side of the Plasma panel).

Average cost for this repair is verging on $600 parts and labor.

If the Sustain boards are working, and the supply voltages are good, then we'd move to replacing all of the Scan and driver boards- cost here is $350 parts and labor.

If you'd like, you can use the following link to locate a Technician in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

Unfortunately there is not a one shot diagnosis for this problem, and either of the culprits mentioned above can cause the problems you're having.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already rated and exited.

Thanks