Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hi, I have a Vizio 55in LED LCD HDTV and I can shut the channels

star-full

Hi, I have a Vizio 55in LED LCD HDTV and I can shut the channels off with the Comcast remote but can not shut the TV off, or when I do, the TV turns black but the white Vizio light is still on. I changed the batteries on the Vizio remote, is it a remote problem? Can I order one thru Vizio? Thank you, Lynda
Hello and thank you for the question.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also, was the Comcast remote ever able to shut the TV off fully?

Do you have a cell phone or digital camera we can use to test the Vizio remote with?

How long have you had the TV for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Aric,

I have had this tv for 3 years.

I do have a cell phone.

The comcast remote has never been used to shut off tv, just channels.

I can't move the TV, so I cant get the number off the back of it.

I do have the user guide and it says that it's for XVT3D424SV/XVT3D474SV/XVT3D554SV

Thanks for the reply.

Let's test the IR signal from the remote.

View the tip of the Vizio remote through the viewfinder of your cell phone camera. Press any of the buttons on the remote, and let me know if you can see a bright white flash from the tip of the remote.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wow, yes I can with my camera phone

It's pretty cool isn't it?

The bad news is though, that the remote is working fine, and this means that the problem is with the TV's remote sensor, and in order to fix it, the remote sensor in the TV would need to be replaced. You can always use the power button on the TV itself if all you need to do is power on/off with it.

However, if you would like to retain the remote functionality of the set, you will need to have the IR replaced. Average cost for this type of repair is between $125-$150 parts and labor.

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you'd like to purchase the board yourself and do a DIY repair, then the link to the board is below. The part is only $20:

https://www.vizparts.com/product.php?kw=&kk=&ob=&ob1=&vid=5&tid=2042&PageNum=2#

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a tech to fix it. I appreciate your help but one more question. Where is the on/off switch on this TV? I've been looking all over for it!

The Power button on the set is called the "Jag Wheel", and it's on the lower left hand side of the TV. You push it in to turn the set on or off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that and it doesn't shut off. So I'll have the tech check that, too.

Should I try to unplug it. Or is it ok to have the white light on?

Hmm, that is bizarre. It is okay to unplug it. Actually, try this. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the Jag Wheel for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in and see if the Jag Wheel and remote function now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did exactly what you told me to do and now everything is working again including remote! So everything shuts on and off with remote and wheel.

Thank you Aric!

Excellent and I am glad to hear that! Occasionally, the processor locks up, and when you stated the power button didn't work, I thought that might be the case.

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric