Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My son hit a button on the side of the TV that seems to have

My son hit a button on the side of the TV that seems to have the tv locked on some timer that makes it shut off after 10 seconds. I tried to factory reset the tv but it still keeps shutting it off and now I can't even complete the set up because it is not enough time. Can you help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the set for please?

Also, are you actually seeing a Timer Countdown message on the screen before it shuts down?

When the set turns off, does the light on the front of the TV begin to blink?

If so, how many times does the light blink between pauses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We bought the set 2 years ago. No timer countdown message. Yes, the light blinks. 11 blinks between pauses.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply Lee-Ann. This isn't a timer related issue.

This can be caused by one of two things, and the button being pressed on the side of the TV did not cause this.

Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 15 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem, and also how long the set stays running for.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did as you suggested and the same problem occurred. The tv stayed on for a count of 16.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The 11 blink code on this set indicates "Fan SOS", which means that the cooling fan inside the TV is not working. This is why the set only stays running for 16 seconds before shutting down, because the internal temperature sensor is shutting the set off. The solution is to have the Fan cleaned and lubricated or replaced. The average cost for having a shop do this is about $150 parts and labor, and the link below can be used to locate a tech:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you're looking to do this yourself, or need further assistance let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this something we can do ourselves?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I have no way of knowing your experience or comfort level with electronics. Are you comfortable removing the entire rear of the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is not something we are prepared to do at this time. Thank you

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then you would have to have someone else do this for you. The entire rear of the TV needs to be removed to expose the fan. the fan must then be cleaned with compressed air and a vacuum, then lubricated with a couple of drops of WD-40 at the spindle. Then the set should be plugged in, fired up, and the fan inspected for normal operation. If the fan does not spin, then the fan connector must be tested for DC voltage to see if it's present. If not, then the A board has a fault, and if so, then the fan must be replaced.

If you need further assistance let me know and please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.