Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Phillips 36(?) inches flat screen tv about 4 years

I have a Phillips 36(?) inches flat screen tv about 4 years old. TV works fine.
But remote for on/off and volume controls does not work.
I have to go to the TV and change the volume or on/off by touching the buttons on the right side.

Thanks,

RR
Hello and thank you for the question.

Do you have a cell phone camera or digital camera that we can use to test and see if those buttons on the remote are actually sending out the IR signal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. I have a Samsung Galaxy S II phone.

I have a Comcast remote. I can control the Comcast Box and change channels and turn on/off the Comcast box.

I found the Philips remote control. But I have not changed the batteries in a long time.

Thanks

Okay, is it the Comcast remote, or the Phillips remote you were referencing in your original question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not used the original Philips remote in a long time. It did not work even after putting new batteries.

Now I am using the Comcast remote only.

This thing happened after we moved to the a new residence about a year back.

Thanks

Thank you.

Okay with two remotes not working on the set there is no need to test the remote.

This is caused by the IR sensor in the TV not responding which may be an internal hardware failure.

Let'e try a hard reset of the TV. Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself, for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in and attempt to use both the Phillips and Comcast remotes and see if either will operate the TV.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I disconnected the power and held the power button for 10 sec. Still either remote does not work.

Thanks,

I'm sorry to hear that. This does require replacement of the small IR sensor board on the TV itself which is a replaceable component. It is a small board that has a plug in connector to the mainboard. If you want to replace this yourself, the board is typically $25 and I can send you a link. However, I would need you to double check the model number off of the back of the TV once more, as it appears to bne one digit off.

If you're not interested in fixing this yourself, then you're looking at around a $125 repair. In the latter case, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com