Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

Have a samsung plasma tv, it lost the picture, but sound is

Have a samsung plasma tv, it lost the picture, but sound is ok, change he setting on the h satellite box down to 490 and it works but not on 750 or 1080. Picture sometimes comes on but is black and white with green horizontal line across the upper top of the screen and the vertical bars completely across the entire screen. Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this problem?
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- Can you please get the model number written on back of TV?
- Have you tried to unplug TV and satellite box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug and check?

Please post back how it worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model number: hPS553 X/XAA. Yes have turned power off to both and does not help

Hi Robert,

Thanks for TV model info.

Need to unplug power cords from wall outlet of both things for 10 minutes, can you please do that?
Also, how old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have this TV for 6 years, but its is only used during the winter months (6) every year. And just returned and it only worked for two days, the problem started two days ago.

Thanks Robert for the info.

- Do you have another video source like DVD player to connect in TV to see how its picture appears?
- Does menu screen show up if you press menu button on TV or its remote?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a satitlle box and have another TV hooked up to it also through the box and this TV works OK The menu screen shows up but is in black and white and with the lines and bars etc. and some times the TV does not come on at all, except for the sound. so no menu..

Thanks Robert for the info.

Symptom shows TV has got problem of bad capacitors in power supply board that caused insufficient/ unstable voltage supplies to other circuit boards in TV to work improperly and caused such symptoms.
Sorry for no good news, need to check and replace bad capacitors on power supply board that requires soldering work with proper tools and should be done by handy person to avoid any damage or electric shock.
Please check following link to get TV repair shop list in area to get repair quote if you are not repairing TV yourself.

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely TV internal failure that needs bad parts replacement.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thx for your help, and this information I already had (about the capacitors), but thought it could be fixed without a tech. You only confirmed what I already knew. But thanks anyway.

I wish I had better news about TV or one button push fix for this problem.

Thanks and good luck!