Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sharp Aquos TV that has sound but no picture on any

I have a Sharp Aquos TV that has sound but no picture on any input. I can access the TV's menu and the volume control works. I saw in another question where these were indicators of the TV's main board needing replacement. I'd like help walking through any other tests to make sure that's the issue and then help with the replacement if possible.

Thanks,
Alan
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First, a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to better meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi Alan, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Sharp,

Nathan :

You are absolutely on the right track here.

Nathan :

If you are getting volume/menu indicators, that rules out the failure of a bad tcon or inverter board,

Nathan :

which leaves only the possibility of the main board.

Nathan :

There aren't really any specific diagnostic tests to go through here though, it's more of a process of elimination in testing and isolating the problem.

Nathan :

In your case, all signs do point to the main board.

Nathan :

While the power supply is also a possible culprit, that is highly unlikely if you are still getting normal audio and the set is powering up normally.

Customer: Ok, so where do I go from here. Can you actually walk me through the replacement?
Nathan :

The part you need is DUNTKE028FM01

Nathan :

Yes, it is a pretty simple process actually

Nathan :

the difficulty is going to be finding the part, more than replacing it.

Nathan :

I'm checking a few sources for you now,

Nathan :

Okay I've tracked one down. My first few suppliers were out, but I've found one here: http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-967-duntke028fm01-sharp-tv-module-main-unit-xe028wj-ke028-lc-46d92u-lc-46sb57u-lc-52d92u.aspx which appears to be in stock.

Customer: So, can you help with finding the part? If not, but I can find it, can I still get help with the replacement?
Nathan :

It's pretty reasonable, at under $70.

Customer: Sorry didn't see you were looking.
Nathan :

You can find the same part elsewhere (ebay), but I would recommend using the link I sent, because it is a new part (not used/reconditioned), and guaranteed with a replacement policy

Nathan :

meaning you can return it or exchange it if it doesn't work, or isn't needed.

Nathan :

And yes, I'll absolutely help you with replacing, but again it's a pretty simple process

Nathan :

Here is what the board looks like.

Nathan :

You'll order the part, when it shows up, pop the back off the tv (there are several screws around the perimeter)

Nathan :

if the tv is on the stand, do this standing up, if it is wall mounted, lay it on a sturdy table on a thick blanket (so you don't scratch the screen)

Nathan :

This is all with power unplugged, of course, and all components, hdmi cables, etc disconnected.

Nathan :

After you get the set opened up, you want to ground yourself by touching something metal (the cover plate screw on a light switch or outlet works for this) to discharge any static in your body, so you don't damage anything inside.

Nathan :

Locate the board, which looks exactly like the one in the picture (and is the only one that looks like this, you can't miss it).

Nathan :

I'd snap a few pics before doing anything, for reference, which will help you in putting things back together.

Nathan :

From there, disconnect all of the cables that are connected to the board (from the power supply and other boards)

Nathan :

then remove the 4 screws in the corners, pop out the board, swap in the new one, reconnect the cords, then give the tv a test run.

Customer: Cables just plug into the board, no soldering?
Nathan :

No soldering, plug and play.

Nathan :

If you've ever worked on a computer before, you can do this.

Customer: I guess that sounds great. Thanks for the help. Unless you have any other suggestions or advice, I think we're done. You've been great. Thanks for the help.
Nathan :

No, I think that's it for now.

Nathan :

But bookmark/favorite this page, then you can easily get back in touch with me if you get stuck anywhere along the way.

Customer: Thanks again.
Nathan :

You're very welcome. Best of luck for an easy and speedy repair.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.