Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Roku 3 and I would like to know if my high def tv

I have a Roku 3 and I would like to know if my high def tv is compatible? and what kind of high def cable do i need to buy to connect it to the roku? Thanks, Rose
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, thanks for the question, rokus are compatible with almost all tvs, but give me just a moment to confirm the specs on your jvc, and I'll let you know for sure, as well as explain the best way to hook everything up for you.

Customer:

Thanks Nathan

Nathan :

You're welcome,

Nathan :

so far it looks like it is partially compatible,

Nathan :

the limitation is that this is an older tv,

Nathan :

Do you use the tv only?

Nathan :

Or do you have any kind of a/v receiver, sound bar, surround sound system, etc?

Customer:

i was afraid of that answer

Customer:

the tv is hooked up to a dvr from at&t

Nathan :

The real issue here is that your tv does not have hdmi inputs.

Nathan :

It only has DVI. The roku only has HDMI output available.

Nathan :

You could theoretically use a hdmi to dvi adapter, but that would give you only video, you wouldn't have any sound.

Nathan :

Your best bet would be to return the roku, if possible, and exchange it for a different model roku that has alternate ports available which would be compatible with your tv.

Customer:

i was hoping there was a converter of some sort that i could buy to update my old high def tv

Nathan :

There are converters, but they don't work well. You'd be better off investing that money in a new tv, or just buy the older model roku.

Customer:

do the older model rokus work just as well as the new ones?

Nathan :

Yes, they do, all the same functions,

Nathan :

and because of the resolution limitations of the tv, you wouldn't see any difference between old and new anyway

Customer:

ok but i don't know which roku model would work with my tv

Nathan :

I'm sending you a link, so that you may order the proper one.

Customer:

thank you

Nathan :

This is the one you want. As a bonus, it is about $30 cheaper than the roku3

Customer:

that's good!

Nathan :

You'd use the red/white/yellow rca cables to plug from the back of the roku:

Full Size Image

Nathan :

into the corresponding ports on the JVC.

Customer:

i'll go and look now for the ports on the jvc because i don't recall off the top of my head seeing red white and yellow ports

Customer:

the ones i have seen are already used by the cable box

Nathan :

They should be there, and labeled something like AV or VIDEO

Nathan :

there should be more than 1 set

Customer:

ok i'll go and check be right back

Nathan :

Ok

Customer:

i think i have found what you are looking for

Customer:

i mean what you were talkinga bout

Nathan :

Okay

Nathan :

So what you would do is plug the red/white/yellow cords in from the roku, then bring up the proper input mode on the tv. For example if the ports you plug into have a label near them for AV1, you'd use the SOURCE/INPUT button on the jvc remote to call up the AV1 mode, and it would then show the roku

Customer:

ok sounds doable

Customer:

i have to return the roku first

Nathan :

As long as it is new, most retailers will have no problem with letting you return/exchange it.

Customer:

i got it fro roku directly so do you think they will exchange it?

Nathan :

Yes, I'm sure they would, especially based on the circumstances. The one you have is not compatible, and you would be buying a new one that is.

Customer:

that's true.

Customer:

just a shame that i didn't know this until now...not blaming you

Customer:

ok i think i need to call roku and start the exchange

Customer:

thanks for your help

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.