Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my bluray will load the movie but when the time comes to select

my bluray will load the movie but when the time comes to select "play", "trailers", "chapters", etc nothing happens when I click the "ok" button.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the vizio,

Nathan :

since you're able to get the initial disc menu to load, but not other functions, this could be a faulty remote, a firmware glitch, or a processor failure.

Nathan :

Do you have trouble with any other functions on the player (like netflix, etc)?

Nathan :

If you just press the PLAY button repeatedly, does it force the disc to start playing?

Nathan :

And when I say play, I mean the play icon on the players front panel, not the remote, as this could be a remote problem as well

Customer:

Never used NETFLIX. The volumn, channel, guide, etc works on the remote but not the play, FF, REW, Stop, etc buttons.

Nathan :

Those are different functions, they aren't part of the bluray, they are functions of your tv, cable box, etc

Customer:

sorry confused. when you say play icon several times I have not tried but I can.

Customer:

but they are on my bluray remote

Nathan :

Are you using the vizio player remote? Or a universal remote (or one from cable/satellite box)?

Customer:

Vizio remote

Nathan :

Okay, just wanted to make sure you were using the right one.

Customer:

Direct TV remote does nothing when movie is trying to play

Nathan :

It is quite possible for a single button on a remote to wear out or stop working though, so a bad remote is still a possibility.

Customer:

should I try the play button option?

Nathan :

Yes, please do.

Customer:

ok BRB

Customer:

no go. I pressed the play/pause icon when the screen came up to select play movie or scene selection and "prohibited" came up in the right hand corner of my TV screen.

Nathan :

Okay, so that error message would tend to indicate this is a security/copy protection issue.

Nathan :

It is possible that the player isn't getting a good link to identify the tv as a secure display (hdcp/edid failure), which could cause this issue, even though there should be no security problems.

Nathan :

Have you attempted to update the firmware on the player yet?

Nathan :

If not, this should be the next step.

Customer:

but I think the movie I'm trying to watch now - non Bluray is one I have watched before on this player.

Customer:

ok how do I do that?

Nathan :

That can happen even on standard dvds.

Nathan :

There should be a firmware update function from within the vizio tools/settings menu.

Nathan :

You need to establish a wifi connection for the player, if you haven't already.

Customer:

wireless router is in the next room. how do I verify that is picking up

Nathan :

It wouldn't automatically, unless you have configured it to do so before.

Nathan :

You'll have to go into the setup menu and look for wifi/network, and it will prompt you to choose your network, enter wifi password, etc

Customer:

set-up menu from my direct tv remote or DVD remote?

Customer:

or tv remote?

Nathan :

This would all be done with the vizio player remote

Customer:

ok brb

Customer:

I dont see a set-up option. settings, CC, audio, etc.

Nathan :

I'm going to send you a copy of the user manual, so that you can follow along with the necessary steps,

Nathan :

that should make it a bit easier,

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

Look at page 19 for the network setup steps, then after that check out page 41 for firmware update

Customer:

ok

Nathan :

Let me know if you get stuck along the way.

Customer:

will do. trying to get my e-mail to cooperate.. :-)

Nathan :

Okay

Customer:

I'm done.. I have no option of set-up.. I'm fine to pay the $28.. I will not purchase another Vizio device. Thanks for your help.

Nathan :

it may be listed as MENU, or TOOLS instead of setup,

Customer:

I have menu on my remote but nothing comes up for tools.

Nathan :

What do you see on the screen when you press menu?

Nathan :

I see a "setup" button at toward the top left corner of your vizio remote, which should get you into the setup menu

Customer:

settings, CC, input. timer, video, help.

Nathan :

Ok, and if you go into settings?

Nathan :

you should then see NETWORK, then WIRELESS

Customer:

my remote doesn't have that... wonder if I have my TV Vizio remote in my hand versus my DVD? brb

Nathan :

Yes that could be, if they are both vizio

Customer:

I am such an idiot...exactly the problem. Thanks so much for not giving up when I did or I wouldn't have worked it out. The remote description you gave set the light off. Thanks very much!! I'm typically not this air headed.. :-)

Customer:

at least I gave you something to add to your troubleshooting list... :-)

Nathan :

No worries at all, I'm glad you thought of it though, I didn't realize you had a vizio TV too so it didn't occur to me to clarify that point

Customer:

I hope you have a great weekend!!

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.