Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

I just replaced the bulb in my Sony XL-1200 DLP TV because

I just replaced the bulb in my Sony XL-1200 DLP TV because the picture was getting dimmer and dimmer. Now, whenever we pause the video playback either from a DVD or the DVR, there is a blue outline of the image that was on-screen during the pause. This image remains until the playback is paused again or until the TV is turned off. How can I correct this?
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Ok, I'm not sure what a Sony XL-1200 is. Sony has an XL-2100 lamp which is for DLP televisions. So can you look on the back of the TV and get the model number please? It will start with a 'K' (most likely).

Once I know what you have there, I will try to help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that. The model is a Sony KDF-55E2000 and it takes an XL-2400 bulb.

Ok, so this is a weird one.

Do you see these blue outlines at any other time - while watching TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have anything else connected to this TV like a DVD player, or a Wii, Playstation etc.? Does the TV do the same thing on those inputs?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has a DVD, Blue Ray, an X-box, a Wii, and satellite w/ DVR connected to it. I know that this happens with the DVR and the X-box but I do not recall if it happens with the other inputs.

Ok, so it is not just happening with Satellite.

Again, this is a weird one. I will tell you that these TVs have a long history of optical block issues - you can read all about them >>>HERE<<< Please take a few minutes to read that.

I think this is somewhat related although I have never seen this one before.

When you pull up a menu and then turn it off, does an image of the menu remain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, when I access the TV menus it leaves their ghost image on the screen when we return to regular viewing. My son says "it leaves really cool designs on the screen" when he is playing his X-box games.

It sounds then like failing blue LCD panel in the light engine. As previously mentioned, this is not uncommon and is why nobody makes these sets any more.

The repair options are few and they are expensive - basically replacement of the light engine. This is documented in the article I linked to previously. With 50-55" sets costing under $600 now, I can't recommend a repair although you can try an get some quotes. I think you would be looking at $500 min. for the repair.

I'm sorry there is no quick and easy fix. I'll be here if you have any further questions on this issue.