Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

my daughter sprayed my samsung 55" LED with a bottle

my daughter sprayed my samsung 55" LED with a squirt bottle and now I have a vertical line down the middle of my screen. Can this be fixed
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Nathan :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First, a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to better meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. Remember, you are rating me personally, not this site or your product and a negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

Nathan :

unfortunately, this has most likely caused some internal damage to the actual display, which is not something that could be fixed economically.

Nathan :

How long ago did the tv get wet, and was it powered on right away?

Customer:

yesterday. not sure what you mean by was it powered on right away tv was on when it happened

Nathan :

What I meant was more about how it was treated after it happened.

Nathan :

Did you turn it off after it got wet, try to dry it with towels, try to dry it with compressed air or a hairdryer, etc

Customer:

immediately dried it off with a towel and powered off. waited 10 min powered up and same result...line down middle

Customer:

it wasn't much water

Nathan :

Is there just the one line?

Nathan :

Is it exactly in the center?

Customer:

one wide line 1/4 in in center

Nathan :

If you bring up the on screen menu, is the line in front of it (obscuring the menu)?

Nathan :

Is the line solid and black, or does it seem to be lit up, changing colors, etc?

Customer:

had to check again....actually there is a solid black line down center with a faint line about 1/4 in to the right and then another line about 6 inches to the right of that

Customer:

the one to the far right is not solid but broken hash marks close together

Nathan :

Okay, thank you for the info.

Nathan :

From what you've described, there a few possible issues,

Nathan :

the most likely (and worst case) is that the display itself (the TFT panel) has wicked some of the liquid up inside, and damaged the inside of the screen.

Nathan :

The other possibility is that some of the connector tabs at the bottom of the panel, which connect to the boards that provide the video signals, got wet and have some corrosion on them or are shorting out.

Nathan :

At this point, the best thing you can do is to unplug the tv, and let it sit undisturbed. I would give it at least 48 hours.

Nathan :

Point a fan at it if possible, so there is good airflow to it.

Nathan :

There is a chance that any remaining liquid inside will dry up, and cause no lasting damage.

Nathan :

If the problem persists after you've given sufficient time for it to dry up internally, the prognosis isn't great, I'm sorry to say.

Nathan :

the chances of being able to repair this are pretty slim. You could have a tech out to look at it, and if one of the boards is damaged (unlikely), it could be replaced. You could expect that to be in the $300 range. However, the more likely issue is the panel itself is damaged, and they cannot be fixed. The entire panel would have to be replaced, and the cost to do so would be more than you would spend on a new tv.

Nathan :

Because this is a 2011 model, you'd be far past the warranty, and even if you have an extended warranty it isn't likely to cover this type of damage (though it would't hurt to ask)

Customer:

sounds like worst case scenario then

Nathan :

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I'll be happy to help you find a local tech that can come look at it (though expect to pay at least $100 for a house call, even if it is a bad panel and can't be fixed), or I can recommend a replacement tv for you if you'd like.

Nathan :

But, still at least try letting it sit for awhile to dry out, it can't hurt, and you might just get lucky.

Customer:

not feeling lucky lately...... I will look for a replacement

Nathan :

I know this was a very expensive tv when it was new, probably in the $2000 range, so considering the cost, it may be worth looking into filing a claim with your homeowners/renters insurance to see if they will cover the damage.

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Nathan :

You are welcome. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news tonight, it's an unfortunate situation.

Nathan :

Before you go tossing this tv out though (assuming it doesn't come back to life), I would suggest calling a few local tv shops, or putting it on craigslist.

Nathan :

There is some value to the tv still,

Customer:

ok. Will give that a try.

Nathan :

many other people have these tvs die from bad boards (power supply, main board, etc), which can go for $100-200 each on ebay,

Nathan :

if you feel like opening it up, you could part it out yourself, or see if you can't at least get someone to buy it for scrap parts value. That would at least give you something to put towards the replacement.

Customer:

may just do that. Thanks again

Nathan :

You're welcome.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good day,

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.