bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.

I had a house fire. The cleaning people said the RCA 52" TV

I had a house fire. The cleaning people said the RCA 52" TV could be cleaned for about $125.00. With heavy smoke, heat, and possible moisture damage I believe this to be wrong. Any thoughts?
Thanks for stopping by:

I would advice to not attempt to repair this TV.

Any moisture can cause warpage of the wood, and the projection may never look aligned... not to mention the electronics inside the projector.

Also - heat damage can warp the screen - called the background plate - so the image is distorted or blurred.

If only smoke damage, though, the guns, mirror, and screen CAN be cleaned - for about a $250 service call (unless you want to lug it to your local shop yourself).

This is a routine maintenance procedure done yearly to keep everyting crisp and as cool as possible.

I would suggest turning the TV on, and seeing what you have.

If the picture looks good - but very dim, and the screen appears to still be flat.... a cleaning may be all that's necessary.

But I also want you to realize - for not much more (depending on the brand you choose) a comparable flat screen HDTV can be purchased as a replacement. It will give you better picture, electricity savings, and newer technologies (with a warranty).

If you have additional - Just Ask.