Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

Good evening I just installed a new lamp for my sony 3lcd

Good evening

I just installed a new lamp for my sony 3lcd wega engine TV because I was no longer getting video, only audio. Even with new bulb, I am not getting a picture, just audio still. I do not have the remote. Can you please help.
Thanks
Derek
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

Where did you purchase the lamp from and how much did it cost?

Also, with the old lamp in place were there any lights lit or blinking on the set?

Are there any with the new lamp installed?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I purchased it from Dynamics Lamp for around $50.00 or so.

With old light, green power light came on, no red light.

With new light, green power light on and no red light

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Well I can tell you that a $50 is not the correct OEM lamp for this set. These TV's are very particular with regards XXXXX XXXXX the OEM (not OEM "compatible" or a "substitute"), in order to operate properly. The OEM lamps are closer to $160. Now, seeing as you had the same problem with the old lamp and new lamp, I'm not sure whether this is the lamp causing it or not.

What I need to know, is when you press the power button on the set, do you hear the fans turn on, followed by a soft click and buzz sound?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We definitely hear the fans, not sure about the click or the buzz sound

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.
Okay thank you. Well there are a few things that could cause this problem, one is that the lamp is not OEM, another is the Ballast has failed, and even a 3rd would be that the power supply or light engine is faulty.

Now is the green light on the set lit steadily, or blinking?

Do you have a meter and the ability to measure live voltages?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Green light is not blinking. Consistently green

We do have a voltage detector. Is that the same as a meter?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.
Mo, it's not the same at all. We would need to actually remove the entire rear of the set, and use a multi-meter to measure the voltages from the power supply to the ballast, and from the ballast to the lamp.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So, what is the next step? Is there a next step?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.
There isn't a quick fix without a meter I'm afraid. I would first get the correct OEM lamp for the set (which I can provide a link to if you'd like). Then beyond that, you're looking at a faulty Ballast, or a faulty Light Engine. The average for the ballast to be replaced is around $300 parts and labor, and if the light engine is the cause, then you would wan to start looking for a new TV as this is a roughly $1200 repair. Unfortunately though, without being familiar measuring voltages and using a meter, we cannot pinpoint exactly what is wrong and the only thing you can do is try a correct lamp.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for your help.

Can you please send me the link for the correct lamp. I will return the other one.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome. The OEM lamp for your set is at the link below:

http://www.projectorquest.com/kdf-50e2000-lamp.html?gdftrk=gdfV22194_a_7c1213_a_7c8246_a_7cXL_d_2400U&gclid=CNHXtIjnsLoCFYqi4AodajsAsw

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.